F1 is currently evaluating the introduction of sprint races on the Saturday of three events this year, running a 100km race that would set the grid for the Sunday grand prix. The plan received "broad support" from teams at the latest F1 Commission meeting, with further details currently being outlined by a working group. Officials have identified races in Canada, Italy and Brazil as being the trial events for sprint races in 2021. The proposals have received lukewarm support from drivers so far, with Red Bull duo Verstappen and Perez becoming the latest drivers to air their uncertainty over the idea. Read Also: Perez can see why drivers struggled to adapt to Red Bull F1 car Verstappen: Hard to judge Red Bull progress after F1 shakedown run Perez previously experienced a sprint race when he was racing in GP2 in 2010, and although he was open to the plan for F1, he stressed the importance of protecting the series' DNA. "I just think we've got to be careful that we don't lose the DNA of Formula 1," Perez said when asked by Motorsport.com for his thoughts on the plan. "I think it’s a very thin line. It’s a bit risky…. Read full this story
- F1 Italian Grand Prix - Race Results
- When does the new F1 season start? 2018 race calendar, TV channel, live stream details and more
- Verstappen roars home in German GP to rev up F1 title race as Hamilton crashes and finishes ninth
- Max Verstappen continues war-of-words with Lewis Hamilton as F1 star hits back at ‘silly comments’
- F1 drivers 2019: Confirmed line-up so far
- Lewis Hamilton beats Max Verstappen to race victory during incredible battle at Hungary F1 Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton starts Hungarian Grand Prix in third as Max Verstappen storms to first pole
- Verstappen wins F1 Austrian Grand Prix as he survives three hour review for controversial overtake as Hamilton finishes fifth
- Massa backs Leclerc to win F1 title before Verstappen
- Alex Albon favourite to land Red Bull F1 2020 drive, it's 'his seat to lose'
Verstappen and Perez unsure F1 needs ‘risky’ sprint races have 341 words, post on www.motorsport.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.