Romain Grosjean will follow in esteemed footsteps when he makes the switch to U.S. open-wheel racing this season, the well-trodden path from Formula 1 most recently traversed by Marcus Ericsson. But who is the greatest F1-to-Indy convert? Drivers must first have competed in F1 to be eligible for our list, which rules out 1993 McLaren driver Michael Andretti and his 1978 world champion father Mario. The 1988 series champion and 1985 Indianapolis 500 winner Danny Sullivan is also ineligible, his Indy car debut in 1982 coming one year before his single F1 season at Tyrrell, while Juan Pablo Montoya and Sebastien Bourdais each won Indy car titles before moving to F1 and subsequently returning Stateside. When considering the order of the list, F1 achievement isn’t factored in – it’s purely down to how successfully the driver made the transition to Indy car. Making an instant impression is rewarded, and so too is longevity. On that basis, despite Fernando Alonso's impressive debut in the 2017 Indianapolis 500, there isn't a large enough sample size to consider him, nor 1966 Indy 500 winner Graham Hill. Grosjean has said he won't enter the Indy 500 or any races held on a superspeedway due… Read full this story
- McLaren launch: Watch the first F1 2021 car and team reveal on Sky Sports F1
- 10 worst selling cars in Q1 FY16: Renault continues to dominate the list
- F1 star Sebastian Vettel selling EIGHT supercars worth £5million including rare limited edition Ferrari Enzo
- Lewis Hamilton wants to see if he is still smiling behind wheel at end of season before deciding F1 future
- Best-Selling Cars In India For February 2021: Maruti Suzuki Continues To Dominate Sales Charts Yet Again!
- F1's new-look grid ready for crucial test in Bahrain as drivers and teams hit track for 2021
- Ferrari's 2021 car fired up for the first time as fallen F1 giants eye improved season with SF21 new
- F1 pre-season testing: UK start time, TV channel, live stream info from Bahrain ahead of F1 opening race
- Lewis Hamilton delivers verdict on 'difficult' first day of F1 Testing as Mercedes play catch-up
Top 10 F1 to Indy car converts ranked have 340 words, post on www.motorsport.com at February 9, 2021. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.