Bernard Tomic has crashed out of the Australian Open in a dreadful performance where he looked like he didn’t care if he won or lost.
The Australian tennis player once ranked world No.17 made 40 unforced errors in his 6-1 6-3 6-2 defeat by Canadian No.11 Denis Shapovalov on Wednesday.
Tomic, 28, appeared sluggish and uninterested during the error-riddled display as his ‘coach’ girlfriend Vanessa Sierra watched on from the player’s box.
Dressed in a matching pink shirt and shorts from designer Lovers + Friends, Tomic’s girlfriend Sierra was still all smiles after the match as she posed for photos with tennis fans.
The lacklustre display in 30C heat didn’t go unnoticed by tennis greats, commentators, and fans, who were quick to give the controversial player a serve.
Bernard Tomic (pictured) has come under fire from critics after producing 40 unforced errors during his Australian Open second round loss on Wednesday
Tomic’s ranking will rise to be on the cusp of the top 200 after a tough qualifying campaign and progressing past the first round at Melbourne Park.
Australian tennis great John Fitzgerald described Tomic’s second round display as very disappointing and cringe-worthy.
‘Bernard is a talent. He is not fulfilling that talent,’ he told Channel Nine.
‘Not even close really. It’s a shame. That comes from not committing to getting your body in the right shape.
‘It’s a shame, it’s a bit sad for me. He was a young kid in my Davis Cup squad (representing Australia).
‘You love to see a young person fulfill his potential. I hope he can still commit.’
‘Forty unforced errors. There were many balls that he could have got to that he just let go. I don’t know why they wouldn’t be included in that line.’
Share this article
The warm conditions took their toll of Bernard Tomic as he crashed out of the Australian Open
Tomic’s girlfriend Vanessa Sierra was happy to pose for photos with fans, despite the loss
Fitzgerald wasn’t the only commentator to slam Tomic.
‘Looks like he doesn’t have a care in the world, just sitting there casually,’ fellow commentator Allan Stone remarked during the match.
‘I wonder if we’ll see Bernard Tomic back at the Australian Open.’
Tomic copped a more brutal roasting from fans online who were dusgusted with the minimal effort he put in.
‘There’s not much to be said for Bernard Tomic … it’s pointless being disappointed in him for not making an effort. I’m more disappointed for the person who missed out on playing Australian Open because Tomic got the slot,’ one fan fumed.
Another added: Can we just stop paying players so much money to lose in the first round #tomicthetankengine #bernardtomic. Just stop. $100k is an absurd amount of money for just showing up.’
Some fans went as far as accusing Tomic of tanking.
‘He looked about as interested as a synchronized swimming act,’ one fan tweeted.
Dressed in matching short and shorts ensemble, Vanessa Sierra watches on as her boyfriend Bernard Tomic goes down in straight sets at the Australian Open
However, Tomic returned serve at Fitzgerald’s criticism after the match.
‘I mean, you know, of course it is (a bit harsh). He’s probably the worst commentator I’ve ever seen in my life as well,’ he quipped during his post-match conference.
Tomic offered no excuses for the loss.
‘He (Shapovalov) played unbelievable, it was a joke. So for him, full credit. I tried to get some rhythm, but I just felt pretty bad the whole match. But for him, you got to give it to him,’ he said.
‘I mean, there’s no excuse for me. Dude just… What is he, 10 or 11 in the world? The guy just played too good.
‘Regardless of where I am, I know I’m pretty good, in a good state from taking off tennis for about eight months. I couldn’t ask for anything more.
‘Winning four matches at a grand slam is almost too good to be true for me at this stage.’
Bernard Tomic (pictured with girlfriend Vanessa Sierra) will remain on the cusp of the top 200 after crashing out in the second round of the Australian Open
- Jose Mourinho's last stand
- 'I'm turning this award into a joke!' Tom Gleeson swills wine and admits he's been 'drinking heavily' while launching into profanity-laden acceptance speech after Gold Logie win... as his deeply unimpressed rival Amanda Keller shoots him a death stare
- Virgin Galactic is back in the space race: FAA gives Richard Branson's firm operating license for space tourism
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Bryan Ferry's son Otis suffers anguish as his late mother's clothes are stolen in car raid
- The scandal of Olivia Newton-John: 12 surprisingly controversial Wikipedia pages
- Kyrgios makes early exit from Rogers Cup
- Tennis wild child Nick Kyrgios knocked out early at Rogers Cup
- A Year of Bananas, Vasectomies, and Rape Allegations With the Vegans of YouTube
- The NFL Can't Stick To Sports And It's All The NFL's Fault
- How Danny Frawley's daughter praised her footy legend father for facing up to his crippling depression in 2017 - only for him to be found dead two years later in a single car smash
- A Hamilton woman’s journey from St. Lucia to prison
- Thailand's Magnificent 10 of 2018
- In Minnesota, Asian chefs feel the sting of Andrew Zimmern's insults
Tomic the Tank Engine: Aussie brat is roasted for 'not trying' as he crashes out of the Australian Open in 'cringe-worthy' loss while his 'coach' girlfriend poses for selfies in the stands with fans have 912 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 10, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.