F1's global head of race promotions Chloe Targett-Adams stressed that the event is part of the country's Vision 2030 strategy, which is a programme to reduce its dependence on its oil reserves and invest in other areas. The first race is scheduled for December 5 on a street circuit in Jeddah, but it will move to a purpose-built venue at Qiddiya in 2023. "In terms of Saudi Arabia, it was phenomenal to be able to get that deal agreed and signed and announced during the pandemic," Targett-Adams said in a Blackbook web seminar. "It’s somewhere we’re really excited about going racing, and it’s a longer-term vision of how we want to build our sport in the Middle East. "We’ve got two amazing partners in the Middle East already on the promotion side, with Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, both long-term relationships, incredibly successful. "And so to bring on a new Middle Eastern race in a location like Saudi with a hugely young demographic, vast population, interest in the motorsport and automotive sector, and the ability then as a market to tap into Northern Africa and other aspects of the Middle East, provides a really interesting framework for F1. "The first race… Read full this story
- F1's reverse-grid qualifying race idea explained
- Sebastian Vettel wins Belgian GP after avoiding huge opening corner crash
- F1 live: Italian Grand Prix 2018 qualifying
- Lewis Hamilton wins Japanese GP to extend championship lead to 67 points as Sebastian Vettel hits trouble
- Lewis Hamilton takes Japanese GP pole and claims Ferrari are cracking under the pressure as Sebastian Vettel qualifies in ninth
- F1 live: Japanese Grand Prix 2018
- Lewis Hamilton takes Japanese GP pole as Sebastian Vettel struggles to ninth
- F1 live: Japanese Grand Prix 2018 qualifying
- Italian GP: 'Lewis Hamilton was superb but Sebastian Vettel's errors are adding up'
- Marcus Ericsson will compete in Italian GP qualifying after horror crash in practice
F1: Saudi GP to be on calendar for at least a decade have 316 words, post on www.motorsport.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.