Disney is closing down the Oscar-winning animation studio Blue Sky, which broke out with the Ice Age franchise and whose movies generated $5.9 billion at the box office.
The Connecticut-based studio was owned by 20th Century Fox, but Disney is shuttering the studio after inheriting it in the acquisition; the closure, which is expected to happen in April, will impact the 450 employees of Blue Sky.
Blue Sky released 13 movies over the years, but its most famous work was the Ice Age series. The company also released the Oscar-winning short, Bunny, in 1998.
Some of the studio’s other properties included Robots, Horton Hears A Who, Rio, and most recently, 2019’s Spies In Disguise. As part of the closure, Blue Sky’s adaptation of Nimona has been canceled.
Deadline, which first reported the news, said Disney could not make the case to own and operate a third internal animation studio alongside Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. Disney is working with the 450 employees to try to find them new positions at Disney’s other internal animations studios.
“Given the current economic realities, after much consideration and evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to close filmmaking operations at Blue Sky Studios,” a Disney spokesperson said.
Blue Sky’s IP will remain with Disney as part of this move, and Disney still plans to go forward with the release of Blue Sky’s Ice Age TV series for Disney+.
Blue Sky’s biggest movie ever will go down as Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, which made $886 million worldwide back in 2009.
- Disney Legend Glen Keane Still Thinks About the Failure of
- OSCARS 2015: Eddie Redmayne too choked to speak as he takes best actor Oscar for Hawking biopic while Birdman flies off with four statues - and Julianne Moore wins best actress for Still Alice
- Peter Rice Unveils Structure Of Disney’s General Entertainment Division Focused On TV Content Creation
- Disney's Pinocchio Remake Eyes Stephen Graham & Alan Cumming
- Cineworld confirms temporary closing of all 127 of its UK cinemas with 5,500 jobs at risk of being axed
- 32 of the best movies to watch on Disney Plus
- Blast off: Disney drops first trailer for
- The Mandalorian season 2: Everything we know before episode 3 hits Disney Plus on Friday
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen to close 26 restaurants and axe 362 jobs
- Boris's Covid crackdown bans late-night takeaways but allows deliveries, shuts pubs after 10pm but not gyms, and forces workers to stay home (if bosses decide they can): The new rules explained in full
- US Election 2020: The blue collar workers Biden must win over
- Marge Champion: Snow White model, actress and dancer dies aged 101
- Disney warns viewers about racist stereotypes in classic films on streaming service
- WipEout: The rise and fall of Sony Studio Liverpool
- Sarah Sanders: President Trump means it when he says the government could be shut down for months or years
- The Year in Movies 2018: Infinity Wars, Reborn Stars and the Netflix Blues Explosion
- Cineworld staff furious to find out about over 5,500 potential job losses over Twitter
- What John Lewis' Christmas ad looks like in the time of Covid-19: Retailer ditches traditional tearjerker because viewers want to 'escape' as uplifting animated film on spreading 'a little love' aims to raise £5M for charity
Disney To Shut Down Oscar-Winning Ice Age Animation Studio Blue Sky, Impacting 450 Jobs have 518 words, post on www.gamespot.com at February 9, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.