The season will now kick off with an eight-hour race at the Portuguese circuit near Portimao on April 4 rather than beginning on March 19 with the Sebring 1000 Miles on the bill of the 12-hour round of the North American IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. The decision to shift the series opener, at which the new breed of Le Mans Hypercars will come on stream, was announced on Friday morning after mounting speculation over the viability of going to the USA while the COVID-19 pandemic continues to escalate. ”Due to the rapid evolution of coronavirus, as well as various changing directives from governments in different countries including travel restrictions, the WEC did not want to take any unnecessary risks,” read a statement from the series organiser. “With freight due to be sent to the USA imminently, a decision needed to be made early to help teams prepare for the 2021 season.” The statement explained that the decision has been made in consultation with IMSA, the Sebring International Raceway and the FIA. The official pre-season test will take place one week ahead of the race at the Algarve circuit on March 30/31.The WEC has stressed its intention for the remainder of the WEC to… Read full this story
- Vic Mensa cancels WILD performance, Tinashe booked as replacement
- LouFest Replacement Shows Pop Up All Over St. Louis Following Cancellation
- Toys R Us might be coming back after the auction for its brand was cancelled
- Costello real estate empire crumbling as county cancels CityGate deal
- Steep Canyon Rangers out in the open: Bluegrass band returning to Hancher for free outdoor concert
- Brett Kavanaugh, NAFTA replacement, Thanksgiving: The Short List
- Why Trump’s Name Could Be Hurting His N.Y.C. Golf Course and Other City Concessions
- Brett Kavanaugh's full opening testimony
- Should Fox Just Cancel Lethal Weapon?
- Wozniacki, Kerber both upset at Wuhan Open
WEC cancels Sebring opener, Portimao named as replacement have 299 words, post on www.motorsport.com at January 22, 2021. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.