THE distraught mother of Daisy Coleman has taken her own life four months after her daughter died by suicide.
Daisy, 23, who starred in the Netflix show Audrie & Daisy, died in August from a self-inflicted gun shot wound while on a FaceTime call to her boyfriend.
Now tragically, her mother Melinda, 58, was found dead yesterday evening.
Just hours earlier, Melinda shared a series of photos and heartbreaking posts about losing her daughter, on Facebook.
“There aren’t enough I love yous I could have said when I was holding your cold, broken , dead body,” her last public post read.
“I held you like a baby anyway, my baby.
“The baby I held when you first came into this world.
“It has always been my greatest honor and joy to be your mother and best friend. Mama bear!”
SafeBae – a sex assault prevention group started by Daisy – announced Melinda’s death on Instagram.
The post read: “We are in shock and disbelief to share with our SafeBae family, that we lost Melinda Coleman to suicide this evening.
“The bottomless grief of losing her husband, Tristan and Daisy was more than she could face most days.
“Melinda was a gifted veterinarian, devoted mother and wife, and talented body builder.
“More than anything, she loved and believed in her children.
“It is no accident that she created some of the most gifted, passionate, and resilient children.”
The statement also mentioned Melinda’s two surviving sons Logan and Charlie.
It added: “Our hearts are with Logan and Charlie. There are no words for our sadness, only that if you are struggling with trauma or depression, you are not alone.
This is the latest tragedy to strike the Coleman family after Daisy’s brother Tristan Ash Coleman, died in a car crash in June 2018.
Melinda’s husband also passed away in a car crash when the Netflix star was a child.
Daisy alleged she was raped by a high school football player Matthew Barnett in her hometown of Albany, Missouri when she was just 14.
And when she pressed charges against the popular athlete, the teen was bullied relentlessly online which led her to attempt suicide multiple times.
The 23-year-old never overcame her battle with depression.
On August 4, Daisy’s body was discovered at an apartment in Lakewood, Colorado, after her mother requested police do a welfare check.
Yet, Daisy spoke with officers and crisis prevention paramedics for more than an hour – but never said or did anything indicating she wanted to harm herself, police said.
Because of this, Daisy could not be legally held for mental health problems and she was cleared by medics, according to TMZ.
However, hours later at 8.30pm, cops reportedly got a call from a female friend in the same apartment building saying that Daisy had shot herself.
Melinda later publicly confirmed her death.
The 23-year-old was one of the girls featured on the 2016 Netflix doc Audrie & Daisy which detailed her and friend Paige’s alleged sexual assaults when they were 14 and 13, respectively.
Before her own death, Melinda told The Sun the family worked “so hard” to keep the Daisy alive.
Asked what is getting her through each day, Melinda said: “Each other. We worked so hard, so many years of counselling, we did everything we could to keep her alive.
“Looking back on it now, it is pretty overwhelming. If there is never going to be justice for young people like Daisy, this will always be the outcome.
“I just think even in death she’s making her mark, things need to change or this will continue to be the trend.”
Melinda said she felt her daughter’s suicide was a result of a “perfect storm” as she was dealing with a stalker and doctors had recently told her she couldn’t have children, likely a result of her sexual assault.
While no one was convicted in her case, Matthew Barnett pleaded guilty to endangering the welfare of a child after he supplied Daisy with booze and left her in “sub-freezing” temperatures outside her house.
An additional charge against another boy who allegedly filmed a sexual encounter between Daisy and Barnett was also later dropped.
Melinda said the tattoo parlor Daisy worked at in Denver, Colorado, was broken into just days after her death, with thieves making off with her sketchbook and tattoo machine.
Most read in News
Intruder ‘breaks into Tom Brady’s $34m mansion and chills on couch’
Mom, 34, stabbed to death by husband in front of her horrified kids, cops say
Daisy Coleman’s mom posted ‘I’m dead’ & felt driven out before ‘suicide’
Daisy Coleman’s mom ‘fatally shot herself at home like tragic daughter’
How Netflix star Daisy Coleman’s family was plagued by tragedy & trolling
Netflix star’s mom recalled daughter’s ‘dead body’ before taking own life
“We are missing a lot of her sketches, a report was filed but we haven’t heard anything else yet,” she said.
Melinda, a veterinary nurse, had a handwritten note from her daughter, ‘Love, Daisy’, inked on her wrist using some of her ashes.
Daisy’s brother Logan also has a tattoo in her honor while some of her ashes were buried after her funeral.
Around 200 people gathered during a private service to say goodbye to Daisy in Albany, Missouri in August.
If you or someone you know is affected by any of the issues raised in this story, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or text Crisis Text Line at 741741.
- Breast cancer survivor reveals how her new boyfriend forced her to see a doctor after HE found the lump - and supported her through chemo even though they'd only been together two months
- Netflix movies: Which are the best original movies on Netflix? Most watched revealed
- Robert Blake's daughter, 19, breaks her silence about her 'traumatic childhood' as she reveals she has finally reconnected with the actor nearly two decades after he was charged with her mother's murder
- 'I don't remember what she looks like': Actor Robert Blake's daughter says she can't recall anything about her mom and 'doesn't want to believe' her father murdered her - but has asked him not to tell her anything about the night she died
- ‘Buck Rogers’ star Erin Gray says she was initially ‘scared to death’ of playing Col. Wilma Deering
- Mother recalls the harrowing moment she arrived home with her children to find her husband had taken his own life - after texting her to say he 'wouldn't be a problem anymore'
- 'I'm always picturing her, whenever I make a catch': Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins reveals his strong bond with his mother who attends every home game despite being blinded in an acid attack 17 years ago
- Sexual violence in South Africa: 'I was raped, now I fear for my daughters'
- 'I thought I’d be married with two kids by 29': Scarlett Moffatt confesses she's 'not where she thought she'd be' in life as she celebrates her birthday in Venice with her beau Scott Dobinson
- Mother who campaigned to change the double jeopardy law after her daughter's killer 'bragged' about his crime breaks down in tears as she returns to the court where he initially got away with murder
- EXCLUSIVE: 'I'm proud of you my bro!' Gwyneth Paltrow heaps praise on Shaman Durek, boyfriend of Princess Martha Louise of Norway, as the couple are joined by Gerard Butler to celebrate the release of the spiritual guru's new book
- British travel blogger and her boyfriend are FREED from Iranian jail: Couple who were arrested for spying when they flew a drone near military sites are 'relieved' to be back with their families after 'prisoner swap deal'
- PICTURED: William H. Macy scaling a fence on set and daughter Sophia in a Fordham Uni sweater as wife Felicity Huffman begins her two week stay in 'Club Fed' prison over college admissions scandal
- Abbey Clancy looks stylish in a faux fur coat as she leaves Lorraine holding hands with Sophia, 8, after hitting back at criticism her daughter is 'too young' for modelling debut
- Abundant Life on the Other Side
- Lizzie Cundy returns to work as she takes part in GMB debate about plus-sized models... after bouncing back from bitter break-up with nightclub boss Jeremy Gordeno
- Robert Blake’s daughter reflects on her ‘traumatic childhood’ after mom Bonny Lee Bakley’s murder
- Collette Larsen a 10 Star Diamond! How Does Larsen Do It?
Netflix star Daisy Coleman’s mother takes her life just four months after daughter’s suicide on FaceTime to boyfriend have 1430 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.