If you know someone who deserves some well-earned recognition after this year, Discovery Green is looking to tell their story.
The vibrant, arts-filled green space will soon be home to “Monuments,” an art installation by Australian artist Craig Walsh. His work aims to showcase the city’s unsung heroes with live projections of slow-motion and close up videos on five trees in the park.
The name comes from the installation’s aim to create a "monument" to normal working people, and challenge the conception of historic monuments, according to Discovery Green’s website .
Houstonians are asked to nominate a personal “hero” in their lives—someone who contributes to life in the community but doesn’t receive the recognition they deserve.
"Houston is a place where neighbor helps neighbor and we want to honor and celebrate that tradition with Monuments by Craig Walsh," Barry Mandel, president of Discovery Green, said in a statement, per Culture Map Houston’s Steven Devadanam . "The pandemic and social justice issues of 2020 have taught us just how dangerous it is to take any member of our community for granted."
The free art installation will be on view from dusk until midnight from December 12 through January 18, 2021. Visitors can share their experiences by using the hashtags #monuments and #discoverygreen.
- Musicians and fans pay tribute to Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green, who died at 73
- State Officials: Essential Workers Monument Will Be Built In New Location After Backlash From Battery Park City Residents
- Monuments for a New Era
- Houston-area parks offer outdoor recreation
- Battery Park City Residents Upset They Weren’t Consulted On Plan To Put Up Essential Workers Monument In Area Park
- The Flash season 7: Fans in meltdown as John Diggle returns with huge Green Lantern tease
- Annual Salute to Nurses honors nurse heroes (sponsored)
- The Toxic Avenger franchise is a monument to putridness and nihilism
- Star Trek: Discovery season 4: release date, trailer, cast, plot and more
- Stranger Things season 4: Eleven's death 'sealed' ahead of launch of Netflix instalment
- George Floyd protests: Statue taken to 'secure location' after being fished out of Bristol harbour
- Pogacar becomes youngest Tour de France winner in 116 years, Aussie Richie Porte takes third
- Covid Passport: The 15 Best European Destinations Ready For Vaccinated Travelers
- The Huawei Mate 20 is the Stephen Baldwin of smartphones, and that’s OK
- Trump says admin 'will not even consider' renaming bases named after Confederate leaders, after Army signals openness
- How Will the Future Remember COVID-19?
- Trump Uses Mount Rushmore Speech to Deliver Divisive Culture War Message
- Kazuo Ishiguro Sees What the Future Is Doing to Us
'Monuments' installation to honors Houston's unsung heroes at Discovery Green have 435 words, post on www.chron.com at November 16, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.