University of California Berkeley visiting professor and author Joyce Carol Oates equated President Trump‘s supporters’ attitude towards coronavirus to that of Germans who ‘adjusted to living’ with the Holocaust as it happened.
Oates, 82, who is an English professor, tweeted Thursday that: ‘for many pro-T***p Americans, the pandemic is like the Holocaust to many Germans: they knew what was happening but adjusted to living with it in indifference or, in some cases, profiting from it.’
She added that ‘only if affected personally do people seem to care.’
Author Joyce Carol Oates raised eyebrows Thursday with her tweet comparing Trump supporters’ attitudes towards coronavirus with that of some Germans under the Nazis
Oates made the statement while responding to a tweet by a journalist who expressed surprise at the number of people ‘shrugging’ off the pandemic despite the number deaths
Oates penned the tweet in response to a journalist’s tweet expressing surprise at how many people are ‘shrugging’ off coronavirus, despite 250,000 Americans having already died from the virus during the pandemic.
An estimated six million Jews were killed by Nazis during World War Two, according to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
Oates, who has long refused to write out Trump’s name in her tweets, is no stranger to controversial statements.
The Pulitzer Prize finalist drew social media fire in July 2013 with a series of tweets which appeared to associate the ‘predominant religion’ of Egypt – which is Islam – to its high rates of sexual harassment and rape.
‘Something dispiriting about ‘Brotherhood’ political parties – wonder what it is,’ Oates tweeted, adding ‘Where 99.3% of women report having been sexually harassed & rape is epidemic – Egypt – natural to inquire: what’s the predominant religion?’
Trump is seen at a rally in Ohio on October 24, where most people in the crowd are not wearing face masks and not following coronavirus social distancing rules meant to stop its spread
Twitter users were quick to slam Oates’ comparison as being ‘offensive,’ ‘stupid’ and ‘hideous’
Protesters asking to reopen North Carolina are seen not wearing masks in Raleigh on April 14. It’s unclear what side of the political spectrum the protesters were on, however
Oates did have some supporters, who agreed with her, amongst all the negative comments
In November 2015, Oates was also slammed when she asked if there was anything ‘celebratory’ and ‘joyous’ about ISIS, the militant Islamist group, which began as an al Qaeda splinter group.
‘All we hear of ISIS is puritanical & punitive; is there nothing celebratory & joyous? Or is query naive?’ she tweeted.
Her tweet came in the wake of the the November 2015 terror attacks in Paris, which saw gunmen armed with assault rifles and explosives target six locations around the city. During the attacks, 130 people died and 494 were wounded.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks in an online statement.
And, in September 2016, prior to Trump winning the 2016 election, Oates tweeted in response to a since-deleted tweet that Trump supporters would ‘cheer’ if Hillary Clinton was killed.
‘Do you seriously think T***p’s supporters would not cheer? Perhaps you are too calm/ comatose.’
- Law professor apologizes after Barron Trump remark draws outrage
- What Will Happen to The Trump Toadies?
- 'Taking out a bad guy is not necessarily a good idea!' Pete Buttigieg says Donald Trump didn't consider consequences of killing Qassem Soleimani and is playing 'checkers' instead of '3-D chess'
- The death of truth: how we gave up on facts and ended up with Trump
- Donald Trump accuses Democrats of pursuing his impeachment 'at this moment in our history, when I am so busy' - a day after Elizabeth Warren asked whether he ordered Qassem Soleimani's death as a distraction
- Serial Contract Breacher Trump Invokes the Law
- Congress demands answers from Donald Trump about Soleimani killing
- The fight to get citizenship for descendants of German Jews
- New video shows 'missile' hit Ukrainian Airlines Boeing 737 before it crashed killing 176 - after Trump and Trudeau both said attack was a 'mistake' while Iran accuses the West of 'psychological warfare' as it DENIES it blew jet out of the sky
- Marianne Williamson lays off her entire campaign staff - but spiritual guru is STILL in the race to be the Democrat who takes on Donald Trump
- The 1930s were humanity's darkest, bloodiest hour. Are you paying attention?
- 'We choose truth over facts!' Gaffe-prone Joe Biden hits the Iowa State Fair by mangling campaign soundbite and mistakenly calling himself 'President of the United States'
- Xinhua Headlines: Tensions high after Iranian commander killed, int'l community calls for de-escalation
- Why America and Iran hate each other
- FBI Fired Sebastian Gorka for Anti-Muslim Diatribes
- 'We have created an earthquake': Boris Johnson hails his massive Brexit mandate as election results put Tories on track for EIGHTY majority - while Jeremy Corbyn announces he is on way out after worst Labour result since 1935
- A graphic history of the rise of the Nazis
- The turmoil of today's world: leading writers respond to the refugee crisis
Berkeley professor sparks outrage by claiming Trump supporters who have an 'indifference' to COVID are like Germans who 'ignored and profited from the Holocaust' have 846 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 21, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.