Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have insisted the glittering Invictus Games fundraiser set to take place next summer for wounded soldiers was axed because of Covid-19 and not due to their £112million deal with Netflix.
The fundraiser, which organisers hoped would raise at least £1million for the Invictus Games Foundation, would have likely taken place at The Hollywood Bowl.
There were claims over the weekend that organisers were ‘stunned,’ after the event was pulled due to a reported ‘conflict’.
The Sussexes have hit back at those claims today, with lawyers for the couple saying: ‘The true position is that the format of the event was no longer viable in light of COVID 19.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have vehemently denied claims that the Invictus Games fundraiser, set to take place in June 2021, was pulled due to a ‘conflict,’ between streaming services Amazon and Netflix
Lawyers for the couple say the fundraiser was cancelled as it was ‘no longer viable,’ due to Covid-19. The Duchess of Sussex met athletes during the Wheelchair Basketball Final at the Invictus Games in 2018
‘These factors were separate to and independent of our client’s deal with Netflix.’
An Invictus spokesperson had previously said the event was ‘shelved,’ due to the coronavirus pandemic.
They said: ‘The event was shelved because the primary revenue generator was ticket sales from a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021.
‘Given current circumstances with Covid, the event needed to be reconceptualised.
‘This was an independent decision made prior to a partnership with Netflix. The duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games.’
Prince Harry created the Invictus Games in 2014, he’s pictured meeting Mark Ormrod of Team UK at the indoor rowing competition in 2017
The 2020 Invictus Games which was due to be held in April were called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a deal with Netflix, thought to be worth £112 million, earlier this week for their new yet-to-be-named production company to make documentaries, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming.
They vowed to make ‘impactful content that unlocks action’ and name-checked Netflix chief executive Ted Sarandos and spoke of the firm’s ‘unprecedented reach’.
They are expected to make content which includes the topic of mental health, as well as an animated series about women, a nature documentary and shows on community service.
- How Similar are Kate Middleton & Meghan Markle?
- Meghan Markle attends Invictus Games closing ceremony
- Jameela Jamil reveals 'warm, kind and very LOLs' Meghan Markle called her personally to apologise for the secrecy surrounding her Vogue guest edit
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle might be happier if they give up public life and become Mr and Mrs Windsor
- Boris Johnson admits he has just FIVE WEEKS to get a Brexit deal: PM softens his tone in talks with Leo Varadkar saying he wants an agreement before rebel law forces a delay on October 19 - and No Deal would be 'failure'
- Independent Kerryn Phelps claims victory over Liberal candidate Dave Sharma for Malcolm Turnbull’s seat of Wentworth
- Britain's Queen: Christmas message 'needed more than ever'
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle insist glittering Invictus Games fundraiser to be shown on Amazon Prime was axed because of Covid and NOT their £112million deal with rivals Netflix have 588 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 7, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.