It now appears Tropical Storm Fay, which swept through the northeastern US over the weekend, was nothing more than a “convenient excuse” for Trump to cancel a planned rally in the storm’s path, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.
“It’s the perfect timing,” an unidentified outside adviser to the Trump 2020 campaign told NBC on Friday. “The weather may have been dissuading people to attend, but many weren’t coming to begin with because of the virus.”
The rally was supposed to be held outdoors in the coastal city of Portsmouth, but forecasters predicted the storm would pass before Trump’s 8 p.m. event on Saturday. The storm made landfall in New Jersey on Thursday before heading north across eastern New York and western Vermont, crossing the border into Canada by 5 p.m. on Saturday.
According to NBC, when Trump campaigned in the Granite State in 2016, he packed a stadium of 11,000, but this time around, far fewer people wanted to risk the storm or potential COVID-19 infection to attend. In addition, the canceled Saturday rally was to be held inside a large airport hangar, not at a downtown sports venue.
A contributing factor might have been the campaign’s strategic decision not to hype the Portsmouth rally, having suffered an embarrassing reversal last month in Tulsa, Oklahoma, when a rally for which Trump expected record attendance instead turned out to be a dud: just 6,200 people showed up to an auditorium that seats 19,000, and for which Trump boasted 1 million had applied for tickets.
- Gun ownership a complex culture in New Hampshire
- April Antics: Wild Weather Swings This Weekend
- Trump’s CIA pick facing brutal confirmation fight
- The Energy 202: Trump and Democrats marked Earth Day very differently
- Five things to keep in mind whenever Trump tweets about polling
- A bridge too low: Tall trucks threaten historic Georgia link
- Marsy's Law backer calls rogue robocalls underhanded
- Sen. John McCain in new book: 'I can speak my mind without fearing the consequences'
- United States Steel's (X) CEO Mario Longhi Filho on Q4 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
- 14 Idaho candidates on Trump, how they voted & his job performance today
- Donald Trump lied to me about his wealth to get onto the Forbes 400
- Expected presidential candidate Kander calls out Trump, Sununu during Dems fundraising dinner in Nashua
- Philip Morris International (PM) Q4 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
- Natural Gas - Running Out Of Time For A Rally - The United States Natural Gas ETF, LP (NYSEARCA:UNG)
- Novo Nordisk A/S (NVO) Q4 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
- Penn National Gaming's (PENN) CEO Tim Wilmott on Q4 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
- Donald Trump vows revenge after Jon Tester derailed his pick to lead Veterans Affairs – but he's not scaring anyone
- Trump's many celebrity Twitter feuds with Alec Baldwin, Meryl Streep, more
‘Convenient Excuse’: Trump New Hampshire Rally Called Off Due to Low Ticket Sales, Not Bad Weather have 457 words, post on sputniknews.com at July 13, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.