People who were once ‘missing persons’ have revealed what really happened to them when they were gone, with some stories more complicated than others.
A Reddit thread that was posted on Monday asked users to share their stories about a time when they had gone missing. Some admitted to running away from their families, while others explained they were struggling with mental illness at the time.
A few people recalled being kidnapped by one of their parents during a divorce battle, and then there were those who were presumed missing because of a simple misunderstanding.
Sharing stories: Reddit users who were once ‘missing persons’ have revealed what happened to them while they were away from their families and friends (stock image)
Dangerous: One woman revealed she and a ‘very toxic friend’ ran away with two guys they met on the internet when they were 14 years old
‘When I was in Singapore, must have been primary or junior high school in the early 80s, we had camping trips that took us to another part of the island with no radio, TV or cellular. I was clear that I was going on this trip to my mother, she even went to the store with me to get supplies,’ one person recounted.
‘I was out of contact for the entire week, I was clothed, sheltered, time of my life. I came back to civilization to see my picture on all the TVs on the MRT. She thought the week after. Oof.’
Someone else admitted to running away from home with a friend at the age of 10, explaining that they had ridden their bikes to another state and spent a week living under a bridge.
‘It was a relief when they found us,’ the Reddit user shared. ‘I had some cash but not much. My friend eventually resorted to a couple of trips to the local grocery and shoplifted a few candy bars when the cash ran out. That is how we got found. He was spotted on his return trip from one of those supply runs.
‘I feel guilty about that to this day,’ the person admitted, noting his friend came from a ‘seriously abusive family and really caught it when he got back.’
One woman recalled how she ran away at the age of 14 with a ‘very toxic friend’ who wanted to meet up with a ’19-year-old man’ she started ‘dating’ online after telling him she was 18.
Looking back: Many people opened up about how they ran away from home, while Reddit user recalled almost being kidnapped in a store
‘I threw all of my stuff out of my window and told my dad I was going to study at her house,’ she said, explaining that the guy met them in the next neighborhood and took them out.
‘He brought a friend for me even though I wasn’t interested at all. When we got to his town my friend told him we were only 14 and we’re running away,’ she continued. ‘He said he lied too and was actually 28 but wanted her so he was ok with us being runaways.
‘We spent the next few days hiding in the Appalachia’s [sic] and eating what she had packed for running away. The other guy who was meant for me was frustrated because I wanted nothing to do with him and was just following my friend.
‘He ended up dropping us off at a hotel he rented so we could shower and sleep in a bed. Later he came back and brought a bunch of people to have a party in the room. The cops were called and my friend and I assumed it was because we were runaways so we fled the cops on foot and got separated.’
The Reddit user said she asked to call her parents at a gas station but was told no because it was a long-distance call. She ended up calling the police and got arrested ‘because apparently running away is illegal.’
Misunderstanding: A number of Reddit users admitted they weren’t actually missing but their families feared they were
She admitted to giving the police fake names of the guys they ran away with because she didn’t want to get her friend in trouble.
‘My parents and whole family showed up and cried and held me. I was so apologetic about everything and just wanted to go home. My parents forgave me immediately and sent me to therapy when I got home,’ she said.
‘The girl I ran away with stayed with the guy and came home after she was a few months pregnant and rejected by him. I cut her out of my life at that point realizing her toxicity.
‘It took me a couple of years to realize how much danger we had put ourselves in and the stupidity of running away with two guys off of the internet.’
Someone else opened up about being on the streets and sleeping on benches for about eight months.
‘I developed a serious mental illness. As a result I went from getting a graduate degree to being on the streets the next spring. There was a Facebook page “Have you seen [my name],”‘ the person explained.
Hard to handle: Some people shared how they went missing while struggling with mental illness, while others were technically kidnapped by their parents during divorce battles
‘The cops pulled a gun on me for asking strange questions. Someone put a gun to my head while I slept. I was beaten with blood everywhere a couple times. I would never fight back.
‘I was arrested for sleeping on a bench. That being said many people were very kind to me. People would buy me a meal fairly often.
‘Finally I was deemed incompetent to stand trial for a minor (non violent) charge and got help and saw a psychiatrist that actually asked me questions and cared about me,’ the Reddit user recalled.
‘I haven’t been homeless for a few years now. Live with a roommate. See my doctor every month. Just needed some help and compassion (and meds). Life is pretty good now.’
A number of people also shared that they were technically kidnapped by their parents.
‘Mom decided to run off with me, lmao. I was 9ish,’ one person wrote. ‘I didn’t see my dad for six months. I don’t even know what happened or why we left.
‘She was in the hospital and I don’t know why. It was f****d up. Ended up in a different school and the kids hated me for some reason.’
If you have been affected by any issues raised and need support in the UK, contact Missing People via phone or text (116 000) or visit www.missingpeople.org.uk
- Our kids were tricked into stripping online & blackmailed – now parents must be aware of sick new trend amid coronavirus
- Screams that sound like a woman being raped and more than 1,000 people going missing – I’ve seen Bigfoot and know he’s real
- Secret behind chaos of 1970 Miss World revealed by security worker who took £5 bribe to let in women’s lib protesters
- City Fills Skatepark With 37 Tons of Sand to Keep Kids and Parents Away amid Coronavirus
- Manic Street Preachers' Richey Edwards 'staged disappearance' as vital clues throw up bombshell theory
- Miss England on the NHS frontline: Winner resumes her job as a junior doctor during the coronavirus pandemic - and says staff are 'falling like flies' due to a lack of PPE
- Rise of the coronavirus cheaters: People reveal how they manage to have lockdown affairs - including a personal trainer having FaceTime sex and a city worker who flouted the rules to invite a woman to his London pad
- 50 Sexting/Texting Terms and 7 Snapchat Tips Every Half Moon Bay Parent Should Know
- The dark past of the 'cursed' valley: Alpine bushland where married man went missing with a 'mystery woman' has a chilling history of revenge, double murder and a mysterious disappearance
- Minnesota Teen’s Accused Killer Told Pal He ‘Cracked Her Skull Open,’ Court Docs Say
- So what DID happen to Owen? Mystery surrounds disappearance of Australian backpacker who vanished after taking magic mushrooms at a music festival - only for his bones to be found YEARS later
- Cult Killing: Kids in the Dark
- Tamara Ecclestone reveals she’s never spent more than six minutes away from her two and a half year old daughter and opens up about a terrifying ransom plot
- The Stoner Arms Dealers: How Two American Kids Became Big-Time Weapons Traders
- Why teens may never be the same after the pandemic
- 56,800 migrant dead and missing: ‘They are human beings’
- China's disappeared: At least one is dead and the rest haven't been heard from in months, so why isn't the world asking what happened to the brave souls who dared to speak up about the coronavirus outbreak after Beijing lied to the world?
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Issue With Mark Wahlberg & More Secrets Revealed About
People who have been reported as 'missing persons' reveal what REALLY happened with their disappearance, from a teen who ran away with men she met online to kids kidnapped by their own parents have 1519 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 24, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.