He added that Apple will release a new 20W adapter as an accessory and end production of its existing line of 5W and 18W power adapters in 2020. A leaked photo that did the rounds on the internet this week revealed that the 20W charger will be akin to the outgoing 18W version and will be USB-C compatible, and capable of fast charging. Fast-charging adapters are shipped along with iPhone 11 Pro devices.
Chargers will not be the only hardware that prospective iPhone 12 owners will find missing while unboxing their new phones. A separate report on MacRumors says that Apple will also not include wired earbuds, which the company calls EarPods, along with the iPhone 12. Kuo said in a research note to investors last month that he expected Apple to discontinue giving EarPods for free in a bid to drive demand for its wireless earphones: AirPods. These are sold separately for Rs. 14,900, while the Pro version costs Rs. 24,900.
Kuo reckons that the charger and earbuds will be done away with an eye on keeping the overall cost of the device from increasing. Products costs are expected to go up for the iPhone 12 on account of its support of 5G networks. He believes that Apple will sell the upcoming iPhone at a price similar to the incumbent iPhone 11, and taking out the charger and the earbuds will help it achieve that target.
Even then, the sleight of hand on pricing might backfire. A phone without a charger is like a car without fuel. Those upgrading from older iPhones might be able to forego the additional expense if they have spare chargers or earbuds lying around. Apple’s lightning chargers won’t suffice as they don’t come with USB-C support. Those without earbuds will have to buy new ones from Apple or other manufacturers. Price conscious buyers might baulk at the cost of Air Pods, and opt for cheaper alternatives. Apple, however, is betting on loyalists paying a premium for the AirPods. Apple presently sells its 18W adapter and earbuds for $29 each.
Analysts at Barclays are of the opinion that Apple will sell chargers and earbuds as accessories in the future, and that the only thing the company will include for free with the iPhone 12 will be a USB-C to lightning cable. However, with the coronavirus pandemic upsetting its supply chain, there are doubts on whether Apple will go ahead and release the latest iteration of the iPhone in September, as it has done in previous years.
The researchers at Barclays opined that production of the iPhone 12 is behind schedule by up to six weeks, upending the timeline that the company has adhered to for the past few years. Despite the disruption, analysts believe that Apple will go ahead and announce the new line of iPhones in September, and will commercially release the devices on a rolling basis.
WWDC 2020 Line-Up: Memojis With Face Masks, Maps For EV Users & More
Innovation At Its Best
The first-ever virtual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) kicked off on Monday with Apple CEO Tim Cook’s keynote address. This was followed by Apple announcing a slew of software updates to the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV etc and also an announcement about that break-up with Intel.If you missed WWDC 2020, fret not because we have got you covered. Here are all the major announcements that took place on the opening day of WWDC 2020.
- iPhone 11 release date and EXACT price revealed? Apple expert predicts launch details
- Best iPhone XR deals – buy Apple’s ‘cheap’ new smartphone from £18 a month TODAY
- iPhone 7 Release Date, News & Update: Apple Smartphone Has Same Design with iPhone 6s? Price, Features & Specs Unveiled
- Walmart Drops iPhone 5C Prices To Under A Dollar In Preparation For iPhone 6 Launch
- Apple and Samsung 5G phones could cost £300 MORE than latest iPhone – as experts warn of £100-a-month contracts
- iPhone 11 release date – foldable design and NEW price predicted by experts
- iPhone 11 release date revealed as expert predicts EXACT price for new new Apple phone
- iPhone 11 release date guide – Apple expert predicts EXACT price and launch day
- iPhone XS vs iPhone XR vs iPhone XS Max – what’s the difference?
- Apple quietly removes THIS important tool from your new iPhone’s box
- Update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 NOW to fix security flaws – and get new emoji too
- Apple’s most expensive iPhone EVER could arrive today – and the price is staggering
- Apple tipped to launch BIGGEST iPhone ever with enormous 6.7-inch screen – but women will hate it
- Apple launches TV Plus streaming app to rival Netflix with original shows and more
- iPhone XS Max REVEALED – all the release date rumours, specs, price and features before tonight’s launch
- iPhone 9 release date REVEALED – all the specs, features, leaked photos, rumours and price news so far
- iPhone update adds Apple’s new TV app – how to upgrade to iOS 12.3 before everyone else
- iPhone XS launch – Apple superfans get hold of the £1,449 iPhone XS as thousands queue around the world
iPhone 12 price may go up due to 5G; Apple's move of removing charger from box aimed at cutting cost have 1302 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at June 30, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.