New York state, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, is canceling its June 23 presidential primary amid the pandemic, the Board of Elections said Monday. That means Bernie Sanders will not have the chance to appear on the ballot in the state and Joe Biden, the presumptive nominee, will get all 274 pledged delegates.
“I think that it’s time for us to recognize that the presidential contest is over,” said Doug Kellner, the chairman of the Board of Elections.
The primary had initially been scheduled for April 28 but was postponed to June 23.
This is a breaking story. It will be updated.
- Plunge In Tourism Dollars Spells Big Trouble For NYC And New York State
- New York Sees Mass Exodus of Residents During Coronavirus Pandemic
- New York Democrats Gain Veto-Proof Majority in State Senate
- New York printer receives 'hundreds' of requests for hilarious $10 window sticker of Cuomo that makes it look like the governor is keeping an eye on Thanksgiving gatherings
- Trump trolls Cuomo by saying the delay in New York getting the vaccine is because he's 'playing politics' and other states want it NOW - as huge lines form at Manhattan testing centers
- Grieving New York Families Hold ‘Funeral’ for Andrew Cuomo’s Coronavirus Book at Nursing Home
- Bill de Blasio orders investigation into whether Trump paid taxes in New York and claims it's 'a foregone conclusion' that he 'cheated' the city out of millions
- Will New York ever let Trump leave? Empire State will STILL try to come after the President's income tax when he leaves office, even though he's changed his primary address to Florida
- David Dinkins, New York City’s Only Black Mayor, Dead At 93
- Tourism in New York City could take FIVE years to return to normal with visitors predicted to only start returning in mid-2021 as the $46 BILLION industry faces wipe out
- Tri-State Area Officials Sound Alarms As Coronavirus Shutdowns Likely To Impact Holiday Season
- Anti-Lockdown Protesters Burn Masks in Manhattan as New York Daily COVID Cases Highest Since April
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Wins Emmy for ‘Masterful Use of Television to Inform and Calm’ on Pandemic
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Threatens to ‘Close the Synagogues’
- A bright spot in the COVID-19 pandemic gloom: Jazz is everywhere in New York
- Timothee Chalamet steps out in New York City in a casual hoodie to pick up coffee... amid news that he and Eiza Gonzalez are 'no longer together'
- The end of New York City icon: How Gem Spa became a mecca for misfits and musicians and counted Beat poets, Madonna and Patti Smith among its regulars before gentrification and coronavirus ended its 80-year reign in the city's East Village
- Three people in their 20s on a Delta flight from Atlanta to upstate New York test positive for coronavirus after showing symptoms a day after they landed
New York state cancels June 23 presidential primary over coronavirus concerns have 456 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at April 27, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.