Moore is believed to be the only woman coaching a men’s college basketball team
Former Wisconsin star and WNBA guard Tamara Moore is taking a rare and historic path as she progresses through the coaching ranks. Moore, who has been a girls’ high school coach in Minneapolis, has been hired as the men’s basketball coach at Mesabi Range College in Minnesota.
Moore will be the only known men’s college basketball head coach in the country. Her rise to the position comes after she played at Wisconsin from 1998 to 2002 and in the WNBA from 2002 to 2007.
“I’m beyond blessed to start this new decade with this amazing honor,” Moore wrote on her Facebook page. “I would like to thank Mesabi Range College for this great opportunity & I know we will be successful.”
Moore wrote that she will also be the school’s softball coach. Mesabi Range is a community college in Virginia, Minnesota about 200 miles north of Minneapolis. Her hiring as the men’s basketball coach comes as a record 11 women served as assistant coaches in the NBA during the 2019-20 season, according to the Associated Press.
But that trend has been slow to migrate to the college game, where Maine assistant Edniesha Curry was the only woman serving as a Division 1 men’s assistant at the beginning of the 2019-20 season, according to Sports Illustrated.
Moore follows Kerri-Ann McTiernan as a pioneer at the junior college level. McTiernan became the first woman in the country to coach a men’s college team when she was named coach at New York’s Kingsborough Community College in the 1990s.
CBS Sports HQ Newsletter
We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
The Cardinal jump into the preseason rankings after landing their highest-ranked recruit
Williams, a 6-7 forward who played for Sierra Canyon, is the Cardinal’s highest-ranked recruit
The Blue Devils coach noted that collegiate athletics are ‘still in the dark ages’ in some…
The Bluejays were No. 3 but fell to No. 10 after Alexander declared for the NBA Draft
The star freshman center is turning pro after one season at Duke
Green is a potential lottery pick who plays a premium position and has elite two-way upside
- Sparks hire Jennifer Gillom as head coach – LA Times
- Sparks hire Jennifer Gillom as head coach
- Weekend preview: College basketball is back!
- Latinos no longer rare in college basketball
- UH locks up Cougars head coach Kelvin Sampson through 2025
- Report: Crews out as Army head coach
- Trial Puts Spotlight on Dark Side of College Basketball
- Lieberman set to become D-League head coach
- Polian defends unknown Colts’ head coach
- Jury deliberates fate of 3 men in college basketball scandal
- WATCH: Legendary College Basketball Coach Restrained From Going After ‘Coward’ Fan in Stands
- Newcomers to watch in men’s basketball
- After 18 years, Dutcher finally gets chance as head coach
- Nebraska A.D. Bill Moos declines to renew contracts of men's tennis, golf coaches
- Streak Ends: US Men's Basketball Falls to Australia, 98-94
- While FBI digs into corruption in college sports, abuse of student athletes far off anyone’s radar
- Holy Cross hires Irish assistant Kearney
- Unbeaten Nebraska and its star are turning heads
Former WNBA player Tamara Moore hired as men's college basketball head coach have 667 words, post on www.cbssports.com at April 13, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.