NEW Yorkers will be working from home for at least another two weeks due to the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Sunday.
Speaking at his daily press conference, Cuomo said said he is extending his “New York State on PAUSE” executive order until April 15 as the number of virus deaths jumped more than 200 in a day and the death toll for the state nears 1,000.
“This is not going to get better soon,” Cuomo said. “I know we feel under attack… this is New York. We are going to make it through this.”
“We specialize in stamina and strength in instability, and that is just what we’re doing now.”
Cuomo’s initial order, which requires all non-essential employees to work from home and also bans non-essential gatherings, was first imposed on March 22.
“We will re-evaluate every two weeks,” Cuomo said.
Currently, 8,503 people in the state are hospitalized — with 2,037 in intensive care units.
Cuomo said 3,572 coronavirus patients have been discharged.
In New York City specifically, 32,308 cases of the coronavirus were reported, with 678 deaths, up by six from Saturday.
New data shows that nearly a quarter of the people who’ve died of coronavirus in the state were nursing home residents.
New York state’s number of deaths accounts for more than 40 percent of coronavirus deaths throughout the country.
But the idea was squashed after Cuomo said such a move would amount to a “federal declaration of war.”
“This is a civil war kind of discussion,” Cuomo said. “I don’t believe that any administration could be serious about physical lockdowns of states.”
“It makes absolutely no sense and I don’t think any serious governmental personality or professional would support it.”
Trump eventually tweeted that a quarantine will “not be necessary,” but said he asked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to “issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors, in consultation with the Federal Government.”
The CDC’s advisory states: “Due to extensive community transmission of COVID-19 in the area, CDC urges residents of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for 14 days effective immediately.”
On Sunday, Cuomo said he supports Trump’s decision on the travel advisory because it affirms what his administration is already doing in New York.
He also said that Rhode Island — which was cracking down on New Yorkers entering the state — “will no longer be stopping New Yorkers at their border.”
Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo said on Friday the state’s National Guard would be going door-to-door starting Saturday to see if anyone from New York was visiting, and to inform them of Rhode Island’s 14-day quarantine for people from there.
Raimondo said the measure, while extreme, is necessary because the New York City area is the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the U.S. and is needed to control its spread.
Cuomo, who threatened to sue the state because of the policy, tweeted on Sunday: “We will not let New Yorkers be discriminated against. … We thank Rhode Island for their cooperation in repealing this executive order.”
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN on Sunday morning that millions of deaths in the U.S. from COVID-19 are unlikely, and that most likely deaths will fall in the hundreds of thousands.
“Looking at what we’re seeing now, I would say between 100 and 200,000 deaths, but I don’t want to be held to that.”
MOST READ IN NEWS
Trump says Harry & Meghan ‘must pay’ for their own security after California move
‘SHE GOT TOO CLOSE’
Woman dies after being shoved by patient for ‘not social distancing’
DEATH ON DUTY
3 US medics fighting pandemic have died from the virus so far
Amazon shuts warehouse & workers say they weren’t told when colleagues infected
‘SHE COULDN’T COPE’
Tragic teen killed herself as she couldn’t face coronavirus isolation
SAFE AND SOUND
Girl, 4, found ALIVE with dog Lucy ‘who protected her’ for 2 days in woods
He continued: “I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection when it’s such a moving target.”
“We’re going to have millions of cases,” Fauci said.
As of Sunday, at least 2,197 deaths were reported across the country, with at least 125,433 cases.
Do you have a story for The U.S. Sun team?
- Latest New York Times outage due to 'malicious external attack'
- How Many More Women Will Suffer at the Hands of New York's Outdated Abortion Law?
- Why Did Mechanics In New York's Worst Neighborhood Go On Hunger Strike?
- New York's $836 Million Subway Fix Plan: Take Seats Out Of Trains, Get People To Litter Less
- Ted Cruz to New York: We're Cool, Right Baby? New York to Ted Cruz: No
- Here's How New York City Is Preparing for Puerto Rican Evacuees
- In Bold Stride for Feminism, New York Hunters Can Now Wear Pink
- Your Best New York City Tips
- What You Find on a Stroll Through New York City’s Macabre Past
- The Woman Who Helped Champion New York's Reproductive Health Act Explains Why It's Running Out of Time
- Gifts for Someone Leaving New York
- New York's Indo-Caribbean Community Honors Its Victims of Domestic Violence
- What To Expect From The New York Auto Show
- India's Sahara bids for New York's Plaza Hotel
- Data breach exposes 10M health records from New York insurer
- New York Times Website goes down
- We've Had The New 3DS XL For Weeks, And This Is What We Think
- New York state joins Montana in requiring net neutrality
Cuomo warns New York will stay locked down for another TWO WEEKS and says state feels ‘under attack’ have 991 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 29, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.