Netflix has announced that Atypical will return for its fourth and final season on the streaming service. The final season will be comprised of 10 new episodes that will premiere on Netflix in 2021. Atypical premiered in 2017. The second season followed in 2018, and season three landed in 2019. Netflix describes the series as “a coming of age story that follows Sam (played by Keir Gilchrist), a 19-year-old on the autism spectrum as he searches for love and independence. While Sam is on his funny and emotional journey of self-discovery, the rest of his family must grapple with change in their own lives as they all struggle with the ongoing central theme of the series: what does it really mean to be normal?”
Jennifer Jason Leigh stars as Sam’s mother, Elsa, who continues her own journey of self-discovery as her children grow older and more independent, Michael Rapaport plays his father, Doug, and Brigette Lundy-Paine plays Sam’s sister, Casey. The cast also includes Nik Dodani, Jenna Boyd, Amy Okuda, Graham Rogers, and Fivel Stewart.
“I’m thrilled we’ll be doing a season four of Atypical,” said Robia Rashad, the creator of the series. “And while I’m so sad to be nearing the end of this series, I am extremely grateful to have been able to tell this story. Our fans have been such beautiful, vibrant supporters of this show. Thank you for being so open to Sam’s voice and stories, and those of the entire Gardner family. It’s my hope that the legacy of Atypical is that more unheard voices continue to be heard and that even after this series ends, we keep telling funny, emotional stories from underrepresented points of view.”
Rashis writes and executive produces the series under her banner Weird Brain Inc. Mary Rohlich and Seth Gordon are also executive producers for Exhibit A. The series is produced by Sony Pictures Television.
This is just one more big release coming to Netflix. Over the weekend, the streaming service released the trailer for its original Transformers anime, War for Cybertron. Production has also begun on the second season of Netflix’s hit fantasy series, The Witcher. You can see everything coming to the service in March right here.
Are you excited that Atypical will return for a fourth season on Netflix? Sad that the fourth season will be the show’s last? Let us know how you feel about it in the comments section.
Did you know ComicBook.com has a podcast? That’s right folks, ComicBook Nation is available every Wednesday and Friday bringing you the best breakdowns of the week’s biggest news from Kofi Outlaw, Matt Aguilar, Janell Wheeler & the rest of the staff at the site. Catch the newest episode right here or subscribe on iTunes today!
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.
- Netflix confirms sixth and final season of The Crown after cancellation
- 'The devil made us do it': Lucifer renewed for a sixth and FINAL season on Netflix... ahead of season five premiere in August
- Dead To Me will return for third and final season Netflix confirms
- Netflix confirms The Crown will return for a sixth and final season with Imelda Staunton in lead role
- Kirstie Alley slams 'dark' 13 Reasons Why and tells parents 'don't let your kids watch' ... following the premiere of the fourth and final season of the Netflix series
- '13 Reasons Why' Reigns Over Top TV Songs Chart in Final Season
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina cancelled by Netflix and will air final episodes later this year
- The ‘Greenleaf’ cast explores fan theories and the show’s wild ride as the final season begins
- Mark Duplass Bids Farewell To ‘Room 104’, Teasing HBO Anthology’s Fourth And Final Season – ATX
- Candace Cameron Bure is a dream in green in New York City... after confirming the Olsen Twins will NOT return for Fuller House's final season
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina canned from Netflix after fourth season
- Lucifer season five FIRST LOOK: Tom Ellis reprises his demonic role as trailer teases explosive series after it was revealed 'beloved characters will die'
- 50 best TV shows to watch on Netflix
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina fans launch desperate petition to save show after Netflix announce cancellation
- TV News Roundup: Netflix Reveals ‘Lucifer’ Season 5 Trailer (Watch)
- ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ Canceled By Netflix, Final Episodes To Debut Later This Year
- Netflix’s The Crown will return for sixth season after all, but will end before the Harry-Meghan drama
- Netflix cancels Chilling Adventures of Sabrina – with final episodes set to drop later this year
Netflix Renews Atypical For Fourth and Final Season have 761 words, post on comicbook.com at February 24, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.