GENEVA: The World Health Organisation on Tuesday said “Covid-19” would be the new official name for the deadly coronavirus that was first identified in China on December 31.
“We now have a name for the disease and it’s Covid-19,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva, explaining that “co” stood for “corona”, “vi” for “virus” and “d” for “disease”.
Tedros said the name had been chosen to avoid references to a specific geographical location, animal species or group of people in line with international recommendations for naming in order to avoid stigmatisation.
The WHO had earlier given the virus the temporary name of “2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease” and China’s National Health Commission this week said it was temporarily calling it “novel coronavirus pneumonia” or NCP.
Speaking on the first day of an international scientific conference in Geneva that will look at possible vaccine options to combat the virus, Tedros also said he saw a “realistic chance” of stopping the outbreak.
“We have to use the current window of opportunity to hit hard and stand in unison to fight this virus in every corner. If we don’t we could have far more cases and far higher costs on our hands,” he said.
- Star Wars coins to become legal tender on South Pacific island
- A coin-sized device could have big effect on treating cancer with electric fields
- State's stem cell agency awards nearly $8 million for new Leukemia therapies
- Combination HIV prevention reduces new infections by 42 percent in Ugandan district
- Toward a New Vision of Manned Spaceflight
- Novel compound restores immune response in patients with melanoma
- Comments for : Apple granted patent for health-monitoring earphones with motion detection
- Magellan Rx Management Releases New Employer Market Insights Report
- 30 new and notable Android games from the last week (3/14/18
- New therapies improve outlook for bleeding and clotting disorders
- FDA Takes New Steps to Advance the Development of Innovative Products for Treating Opioid Use Disorder
- IT Hiccups of the Week: Sutter Health’s $1 Billion EHR System Crashes
- C.K. Prahalad Discusses His New Indian Management Venture
- Inside the Mueller Indictment: A Russian Novel of Intrigue
- IARPA’s New Director Wants You to Surprise Him
- Accelerating Development of Novel Patient-Focused Treatments
- Best new Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone games of April 2015
- Novel Hydrogel-Based Solar Vapor Generator Yields Clean Drinking Water
'Covid-19': UN health agency coins new name for novel coronavirus have 414 words, post on tribune.com.pk at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.