Bajaj Auto Limited has launched the company’s first electric scooter, the new Bajaj Chetak, with prices starting at ₹ 1 lakh. The new electric scooter is the first product introduced under Bajaj Auto’s new electric vehicle (EV) vertical, called Bajaj Urbanite, and will be offered in two variants. The Chetak Urbane edition with drum brakes will be priced at ₹ 1 lakh, while the Chetak Premium edition with disc brakes is priced at ₹ 1.15 lakh.
The new Chetak comes with an all metal body, with a neo retro design, with a distinctive silhouette, which seems inspired by Vespa. The new Bajaj Chetak comes with LED lighting all round, with premium paint finish, alloy wheels, and a full digital instrument console which gives out information like battery range, and real-time battery indicator, as well as keyless ignition.
The Bajaj Chetak will be built at Bajaj Auto’s manufacturing facility in Chakan, on the outskirts of Pune, Maharashtra, and comes with a 3 years/50,000 km standard warranty. The Chetak’s electric motor provides 4 kW (5.36 bhp) of peak power, and 3.8 kW (5 bhp) of continuous power, and 16 Nm of torque. The Chetak gets two operational modes – Eco, and Sport. In Eco mode, the Chetak has a claimed maximum range of over 95 km, while in Sport mode, the range is limited to over 85 km on a single charge.
According to Bajaj, the battery life is about 70,000 km and has been tested across different weather conditions, terrain, and road surfaces. The battery can be charged up to 100 per cent in five hours, and can charge up to 25 per cent in on hour, but does not come with a fast charger. The new Chetak electric scooter runs on 12-inch wheels, a single-sided trail link front suspension, and a single shock rear suspension. Bookings for the Bajaj Chetak will begin on January 15, 2020, for ₹ 2,000, and will be initially available in Pune, followed by Bengaluru, and other parts of the country later in 2020.
- Delivery of Ather 450 electric scooter begins in Chennai
- Europeans will ride electric scooters made in Pithampur
- Electric scooter startup Bird raises $275 mln in latest funding round
- The best electric scooters, e-bikes and rideable tech we've tested in 2019
- Flow is the perfect spark the Indian electric scooter has been waiting for
- Santa Monica hits electric scooter companies with new rules
- Vespa Unveils Electric Scooter Concept
- Benelli launches Imperiale 400 in India, priced at Rs 1.69 lakhs
- Forget Charging: Just Swap Your Gogoro Electric Scooter Battery
- Electric Scooter Rentals Make Connecticut Debut In New Milford