Bajaj Auto has launched the Chetak electric scooter at Rs 100,000 (ex-showroom), which is priced much higher than its cheapest priced Pulsar at Rs 66,618.
Chetak is the first of many electric models planned by Bajaj Auto, including that under partner KTM and Husqvarna brands. Deliveries of the Chetak with six colour and two variants will commence from February-end.
Bookings open on January 15 at Rs 2,000. Around 13 dealerships in Bengaluru and four dealerships in Pune will house the Chetak.
Designed on the lines of the original Chetak, the popular geared scooter of the 1960s and 70s, the battery-powered scooter has been designed and developed in-house by Bajaj Auto.
Chetak comes powered with a 4kW motor that gets its fuel from a 3KwH lithium ion battery pack. The management claims that the Chetak can run for a maximum of 95km before needing a recharge under real riding conditions.
Standard test conditions as checked by the government-controlled testing agency ARAI revealed a mileage of as much as 150km, company officials said.
The Chetak offers two drive modes — eco and sport – and a reverse assist mode. There is also a regenerative braking system that converts braking heat into kinetic energy, thereby maximising its range. Chetak’s top speed is around 80 km per hour.
The Chetak will face limited competition in the form of indigenously developed Ather 450 and the upcoming Benling Aura, considering the specifications that Chetak has.
Its battery will take five-to-six hours to get fully charged. There is no option of a fast charge. Moreover, the batteries are not swappable and cannot be removed for charging purposes. One hour of charging will provide a charge of 25 percent.
The Chetak will make use of a standard five amp electric socket for power, similar to that used by a cellphone. The battery is charged using a standard household 5-15 amp electrical outlet, which will come as complimentary.
The Chetak features a horseshoe shaped LED headlight with DRLs, feather touch activated electronic switches and sequential scrolling LED blinkers. A large digital console intuitively displays vehicle information.
Chetak has been embedded with mobility solutions like data communication, security and user authentication. A mobile app will provide a comprehensive overview of its ride history.
SalesThe e-scooter will be sold through the network of probiking showrooms, which currently retail the KTM range. The scooter will be first sold in Pune and Bengaluru to check the response in connection with the charging ecosystem. The company is offering a three-year warranty, or 50,000 km, on the Chetak.
Bajaj Auto invested more than two years to develop the Chetak. The management declined to specify the investment made on its development. The company has around 1,000 people working in its R&D wing and a majority of them have worked on the Chetak
Bajaj Auto has become the first internal combustion engine two-wheeler company to launch an all-electric scooter in India. Hero MotoCorp and TVS Motor Company are in different stages of launching and developing electric two-wheelers.Get access to India’s fastest growing financial subscriptions service Moneycontrol Pro for as little as Rs 599 for first year. Use the code “GETPRO”. Moneycontrol Pro offers you all the information you need for wealth creation including actionable investment ideas, independent research and insights & analysis For more information, check out the Moneycontrol website or mobile app.
- TVS iQube Electric Scooter: All You Need To Know
- TVS iQube Electric Scooter Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 1.15 Lakh
- New TVS Electric Scooter Launch Highlights: Brand's First Electric Scooter To Rival The Ather 450
- New TVS Electric Scooter Launch Live Updates: Design, Specs, Bookings, Price, Availability & More
- Triumph, Bajaj Partner To Make Sub Rs. 2 lakh Motorcycle In India; To Arrive In 2022
- TVS launches iQube electric scooter, priced from Rs 1.15 lakh
- TVS Motor launches electric scooter iQube at Rs 1.15 lakh
- TVS iQube Electric Scooter Launched In India; Prices Start At ₹ 1.15 Lakh
- Benling Aura Electric Scooter Launched In India At Rs 99,000 On Road
- Ather 450X Electric Scooter Launched In India; Prices Start At ₹ 99,000
- Everve Electric Scooter To Debut At Auto Expo: Will Offer Futuristic Design And Top Performance
- Ampere Reo Elite Electric Scooter Review: A Starter-Pack To The Electric Scooter Segment In India
- MG ZS EV Undercuts Hyundai Kona Electric SUV by Rs 2.83 Lakh in India
- Ather 450X e-Scooter Launched In India At Rs 85,000: 50% Faster Charging & A Host Of New Features
- BattRE launches internet-connected e-scooter IOT, priced at Rs 79,999
- Bajaj Auto in talks to back cycle-rental co Yulu
- Over-regulated market jacking up 2-wheeler prices, says Rajiv Bajaj
- Bajaj CT100 And Platina BS6 Models Launched In India At Rs 40,794: Specs & Features
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter debuts at Rs 1 lakh, bookings open on January 15 have 780 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at January 15, 2020. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.