CHELSEA became the last English team to seal their qualification into the Champions League last 16 with a 2-1 win over Lille.
First-half strikes from Tammy Abraham and Cesar Azpilicueta were enough to see the Blues through as Group H runners-up after former Stamford Bridge star Loic Remy scored for the French side.
As a result of finishing second, Frank Lampard’s side will be at home for the first-leg before potentially travelling to the likes of Barcelona, Paris, or Munich for the return fixture.
Chelsea cannot be drawn against fellow Premier League teams Liverpool and Manchester City, who both topped their groups, in the next round.
The Blues also won’t be returning to face Group H winners Valencia because they were in the same group.
Of the five they can face however, four won their domestic titles last season, with RB Leipzig the most favourable outcome for Chelsea.
Julian Nagelsmann’s side, who are six points ahead of Bundesliga champions Bayern, would still prove a stern test for the Londoners.
Munich is another possible destination for Chelsea, who may also be drawn against Lionel Messi and Barcelona, Cristiano Ronaldo’s Juventus, and Neymar and Paris Saint-Germain.
London rivals Spurs can expect a tough round of sixteen match-up after finishing second as well, with the easiest outcome for them also being Leipzig or Valencia.
Who can Chelsea face in the last 16?
- Paris Saint-Germain
- Bayern Munich
- RB Leipzig
Most Read in Football
Dortmund ace Witsel put in intensive care after freak facial injury needing op
Arsenal fans fuming as vintage ‘Bruised Banana’ kit is relaunched at £75
Man Utd make Haaland and Maddison No1 January targets as Ole looks to spend
ALL GO FOR PEDRO
Aston Villa want cut-price deal for Chelsea outcast Pedro in January
CAUSE A STER
Most valuable Prem XI revealed as Sterling is world’s third most pricey player
Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool join race for wantaway PSG star Neymar
Both Liverpool and Manchester City meanwhile will be hoping to avoid serial Champions League winners Real Madrid, who finished runners-up to PSG in Group A.
The draw for the competitions last 16 will take place in Nyon, Switzerland on Monday 16 December.
It is scheduled to begin at 11am GMT and is being shown live both on BT Sport and the UEFA website.
- 'I didn't know where to run': Chelsea's Champions League win over Bayern revisited
- Eden Hazard: Real Madrid forward set to miss first leg vs Man City in Champions League last 16
- Champions League round-up: Erling Haaland nets historic hat-trick
- Juventus focused on winning the Champions League
- EXCLUSIVE | Former Manchester City defender picks UEFA Champions League ‘dark horses’
- EXCLUSIVE | Former Manchester City defender picks Champions League ‘dark horses’
- Champions League preview: Chelsea face tough Bayern test, Real host Man City
- Mane out to overtake Ronaldo, BVB braced for Mbappe – Champions League in Opta numbers
- Man Utd boost as Juventus eye transfer alternative to Paul Pogba in Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago
- Bayern Munich ready to battle Liverpool in transfer pursuit for RB Leipzig star Timo Werner
- Chelsea starlet Samuel Iling-Junior, 16, wanted by Bayern Munich and PSG in latest England star eyed for transfer abroad
- Bayern Munich to allow Coutinho to return to Barcelona after loan transfer and will not exercise purchase option
- Timo Werner all-but confirms £51m Liverpool transfer from RB Leipzig after defeating Tottenham in the Champions League
- Bayern Munich regain top spot in Bundesliga
- Arsenal joined by AC Milan in transfer race for unhappy Bayern Munich centre-back Jerome Boateng
- Bayern Munich 3 Paderborn 2: Manuel Neuer horror show gives Chelsea hope as Robert Lewandowski saves the day
- Bundesliga: Robert Lewandowski's late goal earns Bayern Munich nervous 3-2 win over Paderborn
- Champions League score predictions: Round of 16
Who Chelsea could face in Champions League round of 16 as Barcelona, Juventus, PSG and Bayern Munich await have 654 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 11, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.