Keto: Nutritionist explains how the ketogenic diet works
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Weight loss is on the minds of many people but this doesn't mean it is easy to achieve. There are a number of plans on the market promising to help slimmers get into shape quickly. The low carb high fat keto diet plan can help burn fat fast and an expert revealed how to get the best results.
What is the keto diet?
The keto, or ketogenic, diet plan requires slimmers to eat roughly 25 grams of carbs a day.
Instead, dieters can fill up on foods high in fat and with a moderate protein content, Elliot Upton, personal trainer at Ultimate Performance and Head of LiveUP Online Coaching, explained.
By cutting carbs out of the diet, slimmers can pick from healthy alternatives to stay satisfied.
He told Express.co.uk: "The idea of keto is to take in such a low amount of carbohydrates that your body switches to a metabolic state called ‘ketosis’ where it uses fat and ketones for fuel instead of glucose.
Keto weight loss: The low carb diet plan can help slimmers shape up (Image: GETTY)
"People who follow the keto diet will eat a high proportion of their calories from fat, some protein and minimal or no intake from carbohydrates.
"Common foods people eat on the keto diet tend to be anything with a high fat and low carbohydrate content, such as oils, cheese and dairy products, eggs, nuts and some fatty meats or fish."
As well as eating high fat foods such as meats, fish and dairy, there are some meals dieters should avoid.
High-carb foods including bread, pasta, rice, sweet treats and high sugar fruits should be avoided.
Although the diet plan can help Britons lose weight, they must be wary of making certain mistakes.
Elliot added: "First of all, avoid thinking that there is some inherent magic to the diet when it comes to weight loss or body composition.
"Yes, there are some medical uses of the keto diet for specific medical conditions.
Keto weight loss: Low carb foods include meats, fish and dairy (Image: GETTY)
“But for normal populations looking for weight loss or body composition change, so long as a calorie deficit is in place, any diet will work."
The expert explained why it may not be the most sustainable diet plan for everyone.
In fact, he said any diet plan which requires slimmers to eat less than they burn off will give weight loss results.
"This is why many professionals prefer recommending a keto-style diet," Elliot added.
Keto weight loss: The diet plan involves eating less than 25 grams of carbs (Image: EXPRESS)
"That includes plenty of vegetables and lean meats, is higher fat, higher protein and lower carb is likely to be more beneficial and more sustainable."
Instead of strictly following the keto diet plan, slimmers can see similar results by following a less restrictive version of this.
This would involve eating foods high in fat and protein and low in carbs.
When trying to lose weight, slimmers are also encouraged to exercise regularly to get the best results.
- Explosive HIIT Workout Plan To Burn Fat & Reduce Weight
- Obese Dibsy, 28, reveals results of incredible 19 STONE weight loss on This Morning - but says he now has to raise £15K to pay for skin removal surgery after being turned down by the NHS
- 7 Day Proven Vegetarian Diet Plan To Lose Belly Fat
- The Ultimate Strength Training Program For Weight Loss
- Kourtney Kardashian reveals EXACTLY what she eats in a day - as she takes up the keto diet for a second time, saying her 'body never looked better' than it did when she was on the low-carb plan
- Halle Berry reveals she followed the controversial keto diet even when she was PREGNANT – admitting she 'lucked out' because her biggest food craving was for collard greens
- A Complete List Of The Best Keto Foods To Have As Part Of Your Keto Diet
- 'My head is currently swirling with suspicion': Husband accuses his wife of DRUGGING his food to make him lose weight - leaving him with muscle pain, headaches, and diarrhea
- Burn Your Excess Fat
- Experts warn of rising burnout syndrome among young people
- Mazda Issues 2016 Miata Markup Warning
- Autocar Professional – October 1 issue out now
- Tour de France riders put their bodies through hell. An expert explains
- Not So Fast There, Bud
- 6 Weight Training Exercises For Fat Loss
- Tired of weight talk and comparisons, Darren Till ready to show UFC fans exactly who he is
- NFL Week 9 picks, odds, schedule: Expert picks against the spread, predictions, survivor pool play
- 2018 NFL picks: Expert predictions for Super Bowl, MVP and all of the major awards
Weight loss diet: This plan can help you burn fat fast - expert issues warning have 1004 words, post on www.express.co.uk at December 2, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.