“We expect that President Zelensky will strictly adhere to his pre-election promises, to stop the war, stop the deaths of people and ensure peace in all the territory of Ukraine. It is possible to do that by implementing the Minsk agreements, that’s what was discussed in Paris,” Lavrov said.
He added that Washington could help in bringing lasting peace to Ukraine by convincing the Ukrainian leadership that it must implement the Minsk package of measures, adopted in February 2015 after Normandy format talks in the Belarusian capital.
“Any country, including the United States, and other Western and non-Western capitals, can help if they incline the Ukrainian side that they have influence on, in this case, if we are talking about the United States, it’s Kiev, to scrupulously implement the Minsk agreements,” Lavrov told reporters.
He warned Washington against continuing with the policy of former US Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations Kurt Volker.
On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump met with the Russian foreign minister in Washington. Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Lavrov commented on the Ukraine issue, stressing that there is no alternative to the Minsk agreements.
On Monday, Russian President Vladimir Putin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky met in Paris for a summit, which was the first Normandy Format talks since October 2016. At the conclusion of the talks, the leaders reiterated their commitment to the Minsk agreements on Ukraine.
- 112.ua: Russian Foreign Minister says Poroshenko prepares provocation on Crimean border
- Russian Foreign Minister Believes US Policy on Russia Was Delegated to Bolton
- Kosovo leader says Russia won't stop Serbia compromise
- Turkish, Russian, Iranian ministers to meet in Geneva to announce Syrian charter team
- Russian FM Sergei Lavrov to Meet With Omani Counterpart in Moscow on Monday
- NATO Expansion in EU a Cold War Relic: Putin Says Russia Doesn't Want Arms Race
- German Foreign Minister Maas: 'Trump Could Hardly Have Chosen a Worse Moment'
- 'A Gain for US': Abe Says Russia-Japan Peace Treaty to Benefit Regional Security
- 112.ua: German Foreign Minister to visit Kyiv, Moscow on Jan. 18
- Russia Won’t Go to War With 'Nazi' Ukraine, Lavrov Says
- ‘EU needs renovation’: Lavrov says Europe has ‘lost monopoly’ on regional integration as East rises
- Russia shouldn’t go ‘tooth for a tooth’ after Facebook bans Russian-linked media – Lavrov
- Russia seeks to "suffocate" Donbas, Southern Ukraine, Klimkin warns
- Russia expects resumption of negotiations for NK conflict settlement after formation of Cabinet in Armenia
- Germany's Foreign Minister : We'll help with Russia sanctions fall-out – media
- Czech, Danish foreign ministers following Mariupol visit call on EU to be ready for "targeted measures" against Russia
- Iraqi Foreign Minister Thanks Russia for Help in Fighting Daesh Terrorists
- Nord Stream 2 can't be stopped, Germany's foreign minister suggests
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov Says Russia Expects Zelensky to Stop War in Southeastern Ukraine have 445 words, post on sputniknews.com at December 11, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.