SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) –A judge on Wednesday agreed to discharge a state gun conviction from two years ago for Jose Ines Garcia-Zarate — the man who held the pistol that killed Kate Steinle as she walked on The Embarcadero back in 2015.
Garcia Zarate’s conviction for being an ex-felon in possession of a gun is from a 2017 San Francisco Superior Court trial in which a jury found him guilty of that charge, but acquitted him of additional charges of murder, manslaughter and assault with a gun for the death of Steinle, 32, on July 1, 2015.
Garcia Zarate, a undocumented Mexican national, claimed that the shooting was an accident and that he found the gun covered in rags beneath his chair, picked it up briefly and threw it into the Bay when it fired and he realized it was a gun.
On Aug. 30, a three-judge panel of the state Court of Appeal overturned Garcia Zarate’s state gun conviction. Because the conviction was overturned, Judge Sam Feng agreed to discharge the conviction during Wednesday’s hearing.
According to District Attorney’s Office spokesman Alex Bastian, the conviction was discharged because Garcia Zarate is facing similar charges in federal court: two counts of being an ex-felon in possession of a gun.
© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- He sold illegal AR-15s. Feds agreed to let him go free to avoid hurting gun control efforts
- Two men charged in killing and dismemberment of 16-year-old found in Green River
- Paul Manafort case doesn’t violate double jeopardy: state prosecutors
- Philadelphia Man Cleared of Murder After 27 Years in Prison
- Russia Investigators Say Trump Campaign Chairman Violated Cooperation Deal
- Florida jury deliberating in case of slain Toronto-born law professor
- The Kashin Obscenity
- Gangster 'Whitey' Bulger found dead in prison
- All Eyes on Supergrass Who Says Sinaloa Cartel 'Gave Mexico President $6m Bribe'
- Brazil's far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro takes huge poll lead ahead of election
- Making A Murderer season 2 – a timeline of major events that led up to part 2
- Right-wing strongman leads in Brazil poll
- Busy first week for Brazil's Bolsonaro
DA Drops Gun Conviction For Garcia-Zarate In Lieu Of Federal Charges have 349 words, post on sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com at December 4, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.