A road sign outside Old Trafford has mocked Manchester United’s dreadful recent form as St Helen’s prepare to take on Salford Red Devils in the Super League Grand Final at the stadium on Saturday.
St Helen’s are looking to win the trophy for the first time since beating Wigan Warriors in the final five years ago, while Salford are competing at this stage for the first time in the club’s history, defying many pundits who believed they would be fighting relegation this season.
It appears rugby was not the only thing on people’s mind ahead of the encounter, however, as a traffic information sign cheekily poked fun at Man United.
The sign read: “Finally some action at Old Trafford. Grand final today 18.00. Expect delays.”
Old Trafford has generally not exactly been a thrilling place to be at so far this season. Since United’s 4-0 victory over Chelsea on the first day of the Premier League season Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side have scored just five goals in five games in all competitions, and they have attracted criticism for their slow, unexciting brand of football.
This is not the first time those in charge of the traffic signs have been up to mischief. Last season before United’s Champions League game against Barcelona they couldn’t resist a few puns, with the sign reading: “Pique time will be Messi. Consider using tram of bus,” while ahead of their game against West Ham it had a message saying: “Utd need 3 points, but you don’t!! Please slow down.”
Man United are next in action at Old Trafford when they take on their bitter rivals Liverpool after the international break on Sunday October 20, with Solskjaer’s job on the line following a run of just one win from their last five games.
- Mino Raiola stokes Man Utd rivalry with Erling Haaland transfer dig ahead of May deadline
- Raphael Varane: Man Utd given permission to discuss personal terms ahead of potential move from Real Madrid
- Man Utd have Eduardo Camavinga transfer theory as Rennes name asking price
- Man Utd's sublime XI if Eduardo Camavinga joins Jadon Sancho and two more new signings
- Jadon Sancho tipped to end Man Utd's shirt number curse ahead of £73m transfer
- Man Utd stance on Harry Kane swap deal will have impact on five players
- Man Utd legend Edwin van der Sar explains sadness over van de Beek's 'hard' time at United
- Man Utd's stance on selling Donny van de Beek as Eduardo Camavinga transfer bid planned
- Man Utd's Cristiano Ronaldo transfer hopes dashed by Juventus star Danilo
- Man Utd already have perfect Jadon Sancho partner at the club
- Man Utd defender Eric Bailly wanted by Jose Mourinho in Roma transfer after revealing ‘we’ll meet in the future’
- Roman Abramovich's fury with UEFA before 'preparing to withdraw' Chelsea from Super League
- The Glazers’ stance on selling Man Utd explained after dramatic Old Trafford protests
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Trippier in talks to buy Sterling’s £3m Cheshire mansion EXCLUSIVE, Varane and Sancho latest
- European Super League: Leeds and Liverpool protest, Chelsea and Man City threat made
- Man Utd hero Robin van Persie explains harsh rule Louis van Gaal broke at Old Trafford
- Sporting have just tiny chance of getting Man Utd’s full fee for Bruno Fernandes transfer thanks to clause in contract
- Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gives Zlatan Ibrahimovic verdict ahead of AC Milan clash
Man Utd trolled by road sign outside Old Trafford ahead of Super League Grand Final have 590 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.