MANCHESTER UNITED reportedly backed out of paying just £35million for Ajax wonderkid Donny van de Beek.
Their shocking start to the season continued on Sunday as they fell to a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle.
That sees them just two points above the relegation places, with a top-six finish already looking unlikely.
That could have been very different had Paul Pogba left the club to join Real Madrid – but that move never materialised.
Real Madrid are now the favourites to sign Van de Beek, but it could cost them £100m.
And it might not be until next summer.
WANTS TO STAY AT AJAX UNTIL SUMMER
The Dutch midfield prodigy scored Ajax’s third as they thrashed Valencia 3-0 away at the Mestalla in the Champions League on Tuesday.
He was also a key figure in the Dutch champions’ run to last season’s Champions League semi-final which they lost to Tottenham.
Van de Beek also claimed his suitors are already aware of his desires.
Latest Manchester United News
Man Utd news LIVE: All the latest transfer gossip and updates from Old Trafford
MIND THE GAP
Solskjaer vows to bridge gap between Utd and City and issues warning to Reds
Goals galore in Manc derby, Abraham on target and Leicester to continue charge
man city vs man utd live
Latest updates from Manchester derby at the Etihad
Man Utd’s best hope of beating City is exploiting space behind their left-back
Man Utd takeover fuelled by Saudi minister who says ‘anything is possible’
He told Dutch outlet Voetball: “I will finish the season at Ajax.
“At Real Madrid, they already know that.
“I do not like to change teams midway through the season.”
- The other Mino Raiola clients Man Utd will NOT sign in transfer window as relationship breaks down over Haaland deal
- Real Madrid ‘tell Zinedine Zidane to forget Paul Pogba transfer from Man Utd as it would block Valverde’s development’
- Rumour Has It: Man Utd fear Haaland signing could prompt Pogba exit
- Watford 2 Man Utd 0: Hornets finally win first home game of Premier League season after another David De Gea howler
- Lukaku will not face Inter Milan confirms Solskjaer as awkward clash is avoided as clubs continue to dispute transfer fee for striker
- 9am Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool’s Mane contacted by Real Madrid, Man City want Abraham, Inter enter Eriksen race
- Ram Dass Rides the Holy-Man’s Circuit
- Oscar, Hulk and Fellaini among stars who could become available with Chinese Super League facing exodus over salary cap
- Rumour Has It: Raiola request ended Manchester United's interest in Haaland
- What next for Manchester United after David Moyes? – as it happened
- Shkodran Mustafi statistically Arsenal’s best defender of the decade with Alexis Sanchez top performer
- How Tottenham will line-up at Southampton but will Jose Mourinho axe his flop defence and could wantaway Eriksen start?
- What does it take to become a death-row detective?
Man Utd pulled out of transfer race for Donny van de Beek and now Ajax are demanding TRIPLE the fee for midfielder have 550 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 7, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.