Buckle up for a silent passenger ride in the new I-Pace electric SUV.
The zero-emissions I-Pace SUV, which produces 395 horsepower and manages the sprint from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in less than five seconds, is now available for passenger laps of the German circuit. The car joins the XE SV Project 8 sports saloon on the “Race Taxi” fleet, offering paying punters a choice of electric or supercharged gasoline V8 power.
For just €149 (about $166 at present exchange rates), you can ride shotgun as a professional driver tackles the Green Hell behind the wheel of the I-Pace. That’s 13 miles and 73 corners in a car that can travel at up to 124 mph (200 km/h) in a straight line, but doesn’t produce any exhaust emissions.
Gallery: Jaguar I-Pace Nürburgring Ring Taxi
The I-Pace, which has won a raft of awards since its introduction last year, including 2019 World Car of the Year, uses a 90-kWh battery to power its brace of electric motors. That results in an official maximum range of up to 292 miles (470 kilometers, WLTP), although that’s dependent on a range of factors, including temperature and driving style.
It probably won’t manage anything like that around the Nordschleife, which has a reputation for being among the world’s most unforgiving race circuits. Any number of big names have found themselves in the walls, and plenty have been killed tackling the enormous track, which loops around a whole village. However, Jaguar is promising that the four-wheel-drive electric car will “ feel at home in all weathers” and “will be able to cope with any conditions the circuit has to offer”.
If you don’t fancy strapping yourself into an I-Pace, though, you can choose to spend a much more substantial €249 (about $278) to sit in the passenger seat of the XE SV Project 8. Based on the XE sedan, it features a 5.0-liter supercharged gasoline V8, as well as a stripped-out cabin. Officially, 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) takes just 3.3 seconds and at full chat, it’ll hit 200 mph (322 km/h).
That car, which is much more of a rarity, set a lap time of seven minutes and 21 seconds back in 2017. That made it the fastest sedan ever to lap the track, until Jaguar returned earlier this year, armed with some stickier Michelin tires. The company shaved about three seconds from the lap time, making it a whole seven seconds faster than the next-best sedan – the Mercedes-AMG GT 63 4 Door.
JAGUAR I-PACE IS THE FIRST ALL-ELECTRIC NÜRBURGRING RACE eTAXI
- Jaguar launches all-electric RACE eTAXI service at the legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife with its I-PACE performance SUV
- Professional drivers will take passengers around the world’s most famous and demanding circuit in the all-wheel-drive zero-emissions model
- All-electric I-PACE is 2019 World Car of the Year, European Car of the Year and German Car of the Year
- State-of-the-art 90kWh lithium-ion battery delivers 0-100km/h in 4.8sec (0-60mph in 4.5sec) with range of up to 470km/292 miles (WLTP cycle)
- For more information and to book the Jaguar I-PACE experience, visit: https://www.jaguar.de/jaguar-live/race-taxi.html
Monday 14 October 2019, Kronberg/Nürburg, Germany – Jaguar is the first manufacturer to offer customers an all-electric RACE eTAXI experience around the epic Nürburgring Nordschleife.
Thrill-seekers and fans of electric vehicles can now experience the sports car performance of the I-PACE at the most demanding race circuit in the world with a professional driver behind the wheel. The zero-emissions model can accelerate from 0-100km/h in 4.8 seconds (0-60mph in 4.5 seconds) thanks to its state-of-the-art 90kWh lithium-ion battery, which develops 400PS and 696Nm of torque.
The performance SUV will feel at home in all weathers around the 20.8km, 73-corner Nordschleife thanks to its dynamic handling and all-wheel drive; the zero-emissions I-PACE – 2019 World Green Car of the Year – will be able to cope with any conditions the circuit known as the ‘Green Hell’ has to offer.
The introduction of the first all-electric RACE eTAXI is another step in Jaguar’s electrification strategy as it enables more people to experience Jaguar’s award-winning I-PACE first-hand.
Jaguar is no stranger to electric race cars, with the Panasonic Jaguar Racing team preparing for a fourth season in Formula E. Jaguar has also completed its inaugural season of the Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY, the first all-electric single-make competition of its kind in the world, which features a grid of close-to-production I-PACE racers.
The new experience is available from now until the end of the season in late November and costs from €149 per lap. For further information on dates and availability please visit: https://www.jaguar.de/jaguar-live/race-taxi.html.
Since its launch in 2018, the Jaguar I-PACE has won multiple awards including 2019 World Car of the Year, European Car of the Year and German Car of the Year.
- The tastiest plastic-free chocolate eggs for an eco-friendly Easter
- Meghan and Harry will opt for eco-friendly nappies and baby sling
- How to plan an eco-friendly wedding like Princess Eugenie
- Buying ‘eco-friendly’ products won’t save the planet: study
- Eco-friendly mother reveals how she tries to live without chemicals
- Going, going green: How to choose travel that’s eco friendly
- How to Be Eco-Friendly When You're Dead
- Architect Nathan Good designs eco-friendly, sustainable homes
- Could squid protein be an eco-friendly answer to our plastic problem?
- 21 Eco-Friendly Products You Can Get On Amazon That People Actually Swear By