Bavarian marque’s upcoming rival to the Mercedes-Benz CLA looks set to debut in LA next month.
BMW has published more teaser images for the new 2 Series Gran Coupe this week on social media, ahead of an anticipated reveal at the Los Angeles motor show.
The trio of pictures, posted on the company’s Twitter profile, should the front, boot profile, and tail-light signature of the first-ever compact ‘Gran Coupe’ model.
It appears the 2 Series Gran Coupe will be very similar to the new-generation 1 Series up front, with a very similar grille and headlight design, while from the B-pillar rearward the 2er GC will be heavily inspired by the new 8 Series Gran Coupe.
Underpinning the 2 Series GC will be the BMW Group’s front- and all-wheel drive ‘UKL’ architecture, which forms the basis of the new 1 Series along with the Mini range.
Its key rival will be the recently-launched new-generation Mercedes-Benz CLA, with a range of variants from three- and four-cylinder turbo petrol and diesel models to a performance-focused M235i xDrive to go head-to-head with the AMG CLA35.
Expect the company’s latest tech and assistance features to be available, too, including the dual-screen BMW OS7.0 system with online connectivity, semi-autonomous highway driving capability, adaptive LED headlights, LED ambient cabin lighting, and an automated parking assistant.
Above: BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe prototype
It was previously thought the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe would debut on July 24, but the launch has obviously been pushed back by several months – an official reason is unknown, however.
Reports elsewhere suggest the 2er GC will go on sale in Europe during the second quarter of next year, which points to a likely Australian release at the tail end of 2020.
Stay tuned to CarAdvice for all the latest.
2020 BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe teased again
- BMW 8 Series Gran Coupe Shows its Striking Silhouette
- BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe Coming to the US with 300 HP
- BMW M3 E46 Coupe
- Car and Driver tests the BMW 640i Gran Turismo
- BMW Replaces M2 Coupe with 'M2 Competition' This Summer
- New 2020 BMW M3 Caught on New Shots on the Ring, Gets Ready for Frankfurt Motor Show
- 2020 BMW 8-Series spy shots and video
- 2020 BMW 8-Series Convertible spy shots and video
- Four-Door BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe Concept Unveiled in Geneva
- New BMW M850i xDrive Coupe: First Official Details, Gets 523HP