MIAMI — The Latest on tropical weather (all times local):
Tropical Storm Lorena is lashing parts of southern Mexico with torrential rains as it drives closer to the coast and nears hurricane force.
Lorena is expected to brush or hit land by early Thursday somewhere between the port of Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta on Mexico’s southwestern Pacific coast.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center says Lorena had winds of 70 mph (110 kph) and was moving northwest at 13 mph (20 kph) early Wednesday afternoon.
It was located about 100 miles (160 kilometers) south-southeast of Manzanillo.
By week’s end, Lorena is projected to come close to the the Baja California peninsula’s southern tip.
Any rightward movement of the storm’s track could bring it ashore, possibly twice.
Mexican officials also say they’re concerned that some parts of southern Mexico, which have seen a lack of rainfall, could now get torrential rains and floods from a combination of Lorena and two other weather systems in the area.
- Tropical storm Elsa lashing Haiti with gusty winds
- Elsa latest: Tropical storm warning issued for parts of Florida Keys
- Tropical Storm Warning Extended For Northern Gulf Coast Ahead Of Potential Tropical Cyclone Three
- Tropical Storm Claudette Forms, Lashes Gulf Coast With Heavy Rain
- Tropical Storms Headed to the Gulf of Mexico
- Texas in crosshairs of "strengthening" Tropical Storm Beta which joins the growing list of storms battering the Gulf
- Tracking Elsa: Tropical Storm Elsa Moving Away From Southeastern Cuba & Jamaica
- Tracking The Tropics: Tropical Storm Elsa A Little Stronger
- Tracking Elsa: Tropical Storm Elsa Nears Eastern Cuba
- Tracking The Tropics: Elsa Still Moving Rapidly; Tropical Storm Watch Issued For Portions Of Haiti
- One Tropical Storm Or Hurricane Threat Is Bad Enough; Now The U.S. Braces For Two
- Tracking The Tropics: Tropical Storm Elsa Forms In Atlantic
- Surfside building to be demolished as Tropical Storm Elsa approaches Florida
- Tropical Storm Claudette path, map: Where potential rainfall, wind is headed
- Florida governor issues state of emergency in response to Tropical Storm Elsa
- Tropical Storm Elsa headed to landfall on central Cuba coast
- Tropical Storm Elsa nears Cuba and worries Florida
- Gov. DeSantis Declares State of Emergency For Tropical Storm Elsa
The Latest: Tropical Storm Lorena lashes southern Mexico have 347 words, post on www.startribune.com at September 18, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.