Cyntoia Brown, a former sex trafficking victim whose story gained prominence through celebrity exposure and social media, was able to walk free from the Tennessee Prison for Women due to a commutation of her sentence by then-Governor Bill Haslam in January.
Brown, who is now scheduled for 10 years of parole, was convicted of murder in October 2006 for killing 43-year-old real estate agent Johnny Allen in Nashville, Tennessee, and sentenced to life in prison, with a possibility of parole after serving a minimum of 51 years.
Shortly after running away from home and becoming homeless at age 16, Brown was forced into prostitution by Garion L. McGlothen, whose street name was “Kut-Throat.” According to Brown’s testimony, she met Allen at a Sonic Drive-In on the night of August 6, 2004.
Brown agreed to go home with Allen and says she agreed to have sex with him for $150. Before the act could occur, the 16-year-old shot Allen in the back of the head at close range with a handgun and fled the scene in his Ford truck. Brown also stole Allen’s wallet and $172.
In late 2017, celebrities such as Rihanna and Kim Kardashian West brought global attention to Brown’s case, asserting that the teen found the courage to fight back against Allen, a would-be child rapist.
View this post on Instagram
did we somehow change the definition of #JUSTICE along the way?? cause….. Something is horribly wrong when the system enables these rapists and the victim is thrown away for life! To each of you responsible for this child’s sentence I hope to God you don’t have children, because this could be your daughter being punished for punishing already! #FREECYNTOIABROWN #HowManyMore
According to Brown’s testimony, she believed Allen reached for a weapon, which intimidated her and led to his subsequent murder.
Investigators, however, are still pushing back against Brown’s story to this day, and according to court documents, the 43-year-old died in his sleep.
In a letter penned to Haslam in January and obtained by local Tennessee news station WTVF, Metro Detective Charles Robinson asserted that “Cyntoia Brown did not commit this murder because she was a child sex slave as her advocates would like you to believe” and that her “only motivation for the murder was robbery.”
The detective also referenced multiple interviews with individuals who said that Brown admitted to killing Allen.
Nevertheless, Haslam went forward with granting Brown a full commutation to parole.
“Cyntoia Brown committed, by her own admission, a horrific crime at the age of 16,” Haslam said in a January statement. “Yet, imposing a life sentence on a juvenile that would require her to serve at least 51 years before even being eligible for parole consideration is too harsh, especially in light of the extraordinary steps Ms. Brown has taken to rebuild her life.”
Haslam noted that while incarcerated, Brown earned her GED and received an associate degree through the Lipscomb Initiative for Education Program, while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. At the time, she was slated to receive a bachelor’s degree in May 2019.
“I’m blessed to have a very supportive family and friends to support me in the days to come. I look forward to using my experiences to help other women and girls suffering abuse and exploitation,” Brown said via a statement from her lawyer, issued days before her Wednesday release.
- US financier Epstein expected to be charged in sex trafficking case: Source
- Sex Trafficking Bust During Super Bowl Week In Tampa Results In Record Arrests
- Rescued human trafficking victims in Thailand nears record high
- Man who had sex with 15-year-old girl sentenced to 5 years’ jail
- Sex trafficking in Singapore: How changes to the law may protect women duped into prostitution
- Priti Patel to Introduce Life Sentences for People Smugglers: Report
- Life sentence for Indonesian who raped more than 100 men in Britain
- U.S. Honors Korean Fighter Against Sex Trafficking
- Man gets 15 years' jail, caning for sexually abusing 4-year-old daughter
- Australian citizen receives life sentence over death
- Lori Loughlin requests the return of her passport... after successfully serving two month prison sentence for role in college admissions scandal
- Cambodia fixer jailed for creating 'fake news' on sex-trafficking film
- Black cab rapist John Worboys loses appeal against life sentences for drugging women
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Tell her to lie about her age.' Peter Nygard points and leers at girls as young as 15 on Brazilian beach, using translator to ask how old they are in unearthed video, as fashion mogul is arrested for 'sex trafficking'
- Craigslist, Reddit prep for legal woes from FOSTA sex-trafficking bill
- Ghislaine Maxwell ‘stole 15-year-old “slave’s” passport and trapped teen on island for refusing sex with Epstein’
- Black cab rapist John Worboys to appeal life sentences for drugging and attacking female passengers
- California high court upholds ending adult trials for 14- and 15-year-old offenders
Sex Trafficking Victim Cyntoia Brown Released After Serving 15 Years of Life Sentence have 797 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 8, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.