CALIFORNIA: A man died shortly after competing in a taco-eating contest at a minor league baseball game in
, authorities said Wednesday.
Dana Hutchings, 41, of Fresno, died Tuesday night shortly after arriving at a hospital, Fresno Sheriff spokesman Tony Botti said.
An autopsy on Hutchings will be done Thursday to determine a cause of death, Botti said. It was not immediately known how many tacos the man had eaten or whether he had won the contest.
spokesman Paul Braverman said in a statement that the team was “devastated to learn” of the fan’s death and that the team would “work closely with local authorities and provide any helpful information that is requested.”
Tuesday night’s competition came ahead of Saturday’s World
Eating Championship to be held at Fresno’s annual Taco Truck Throwdown. The team on Wednesday announced that it was canceling that taco-eating contest, though a “taco truck throwdown” featuring food trucks and musical entertainment would go ahead as planned.
Matthew Boylan, who watched Tuesday’s taco eating contest from his seat in Section 105, told the Fresno Bee he quickly noticed Hutchings because “he was eating so fast compared to the other two (contestants).”
“It was like he’d never eaten before,” Boylan said. “He was just shoving the tacos down his mouth without chewing.”
He said Hutchings collapsed and hit his face on a table about seven minutes into the contest, then fell to the ground. The eating contest ended immediately.
During the 2018 Taco Eating Championship in Fresno, professional eater Geoffrey Esper downed 73 tacos in eight minutes,
Competitive-eating contests have become major attractions at festivals and other events. Among the most popular is the annual Nathan’s Famous July Fourth
eating contest on New York’s Coney Island, where
this year’s champion ate 71. Esper finished third.
- Man joins taco-eating contest, dies
- An Australian man died eight years after eating a garden slug on a dare
- Lebanese man dies after setting himself ablaze at school
- Fast & Furious actor Paul Walker dies in California car crash
- A Florida man died of flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters — here's how concerned you should be
- A Florida man died of bacteria that can cause flesh-eating disease after eating raw oysters — here's how concerned you should be
- Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest mulls tech overhaul after scoring mistakes
- Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest prize pool: What event winners earn
- Latest: Report: Man dies after stint at detention facility
- New Jersey man dies of rare tick-borne Powassan virus