Haunting footage has emerged of the Sydney knifeman in a hospital waiting room a week before allegedly going on a deadly rampage.
Mert Ney, 20, ran through the city centre covered in blood and brandishing a large kitchen knife on Tuesday afternoon.
Michaela Dunn, 24, was then found dead inside a Clarence Street apartment at 3.15pm, just over an hour after Ney allegedly stabbed Linda Bo, 41, in the back.
Those close to Ney claim he has been on a ‘steep descent into insanity’, which became so troubling police were trying to track him down.
He was seen in the waiting room at Blacktown Hospital looking distressed and agitated just days before the attack.
Michaela Dunn, 24, was found dead inside a Clarence Street apartment at 3.15pm, just over an hour after Ney allegedly stabbed Linda Bo, 41, in the back
In the footage Ney can be seen staring vacantly into the distance as he throws his head back. He is later seen leaning forward with his head in his hands.
‘There’s something not right with this guy,’ an onlooker says.
It is understood Ney went to the hospital on August 7 after suffering a prescription drug overdose.
Melinda Ettery, a patient in the emergency room, told the Seven Network it was clear he was agitated.
‘He was loud and boisterous, being rude to nurses and doctors,’ she said.
Michaela Dunn has been remembered as a beautiful young woman with a passion for travel
While many were shocked by the alleged actions of 20-year-old Mert Ney (pictured), those close to Ney say his ‘steep descent into insanity’ became clear
Hours later, he left the hospital and returned to his family home at Marayong in Sydney’s west, where he allegedly launched a violent attack on one of his sisters.
The 20-year-old allegedly punched her in the face and choked her before she and her mother contacted police.
Ney fled before officers arrived, leading them on an failed week-long hunt to find him, The Australian reported.
Two days later after the incident at the family home, Ney went to a local GP and said he was having suicidal thoughts.
Footage shows Ney staring vacantly into the distance as he throws his head back in the hospital waiting room. He can then be seen leaning forward with his head in his hands
Stunned onlookers were frozen in the street as the Ney (pictured) began his rampage through Sydney
The doctor contacted police – but he again evaded them.
In the three days before the rampage, Ney had been living in government emergency housing in Blacktown – but no one told police who were hunting him.
‘Police were searching for him and we had concerns, but it’s still a mystery to us why we didn’t get a call,’ a police source told The Australian.
Ney flew under the radar until Tuesday – a week after police began their search.
That day, he travelled into the city with the intention to ‘kill and be killed by a cop’s gun’, detectives believe.
It is believed he made an appointment with Ms Dunn for 1.30pm, but Ney only spent 20 minutes in her Clarence Street apartment.
Ney was seen on CCTV footage leaving the building at 1.50pm, and police allege he killed her before fleeing the block in a blood-soaked jumper and causing chaos through the streets of Sydney.
Investigators believe Ney and Ms Dunn had no prior contact before Tuesday but are looking through their phone records to determine the nature of their relationship.
‘From our early investigations it appears the accused never had any intention of paying the victim for services that he had made arrangements for,’ an investigator told The Daily Telegraph.
‘Likewise it seems clear that he wanted to be killed by police.’
Teenage homeless couple Courtney Ridgeway, 19, and Nathan Tgiy, 16, described Ney as ‘agitated’ and ‘scary’ when they stayed in a room next-door to his at the emergency accommodation.
They heard the 20-year-old discussing terrorism on his phone information he had on USB stick.
Ney stands accused of shutting down Sydney’s CBD during a terrifying rampage that left a 24-year-old woman dead. The woman’s body is seen being taken from her home
‘He was talking about terrorism and Allahu Akbar – he loved that word, he was saying it a lot,’ Ms Ridgeway told 9News.
Ney was taken down by heroic bystanders after he stabbed 41-year-old Linda Bo in the back in broad daylight.
Shortly after, Ms Dunn was found in dead in the apartment.
Pictures shared to social media showed Ms Dunn travelled through Sri Lanka and the US in the past year, as well as previously holidaying in Europe.
‘While her family appreciate the support offered by the community, they have requested their privacy at this difficult time,’ a statement from police read.
‘The investigation into the circumstances surrounding Michaela’s murder is being led by detectives from the Homicide Squad under Strike Force Lalchere.’
Michaela Dunn, 24, was allegedly killed at a Sydney apartment by Mert Ney on Tuesday
Neighbours of the 24-year-old sex worker were shocked when they heard of the gruesome killing, many claimed they did not hear a thing on the day she died
Ms Ridgeway (pictured) said Ney had approached them saying he was ‘homeless’ and had been ‘kicked out’ by his mum
Ney’s sister, who declined to be named, apologised to the family of his alleged victim, saying: ‘Sorry a million times.. I’m just really sorry to the victim’.
Ms Ney said her brother had a ‘steep descent into insanity’ and she wanted him to ‘suffer’ and be punished severely by the law for what he had allegedly done.
‘I want him to suffer. I want them to just put him in like the worst mental health institution where it’s like jail,’ she said.
‘All the words I could say isn’t ever going to bring her back … I’m really sorry, she was like, defenceless and everything.’
HOW THE SYDNEY CBD STABBING UNFOLDED:
* 2pm: Police receive calls about a man armed with a knife and wearing a balaclava wandering York Street in Sydney’s CBD.
* Officers arrive to find a 41-year-old woman suffering a stab wound at the Hotel CBD on the corner of King and York Streets.
* A short time later, three members of the public detain Mert Ney, 20, before he’s arrested by police.
* 3.15pm: The body of a 24-year-old woman is found in a Clarence Street unit.
* Police investigate whether the body is linked to the earlier stabbing.
* 5.30pm: NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller confirms the two crimes are linked and reveals Ney has a history of mental health issues.
* Police say the Marayong man has no links to terrorist organisations but does have some ‘ideologies in relation to terrorism’.
* Ney was allegedly carrying material ‘about other crimes of mass casualties and mass deaths around the world’, the commissioner says.
* Detectives conduct a thorough search of Ney’s western Sydney home.
- 'It's the worst part - people will say 'who cares': Sydney knifeman's sister worries the woman 'stabbed to death in a hotel room' will be ignored because she was an escort
- 'He wasn't going to frighten me': Humble lawyer breaks his silence and says he had 'no option' but to go after Sydney knifeman with a chair - and reveals the man 'said he had a BOMB'
- Footage shows London Bridge terrorist in takeaway shop just days before he stabbed two in killing spree
- An accident waiting to happen? The complicated intersections that NO ONE understands how to use brought on by Sydney's $2.7billion light rail
- Mama June: From Hot To Not unveils 'road to intervention' for star with never-before-seen footage of her and Geno Doak's rocky romance
- 'It's Like a Cult': How a Hyped New York Art Gallery Built Its Name on Exploitation
- Yom Kippur gunman admits his shooting rampage in Germany was motivated by anti-Semitism and right-wing extremism in 'very comprehensive' confession
- New York's Island of Lost Souls: The largest mass burial site in America where more than 1 MILLION nameless adults and babies are laid to rest in trenches dug by inmates
- Dozens dead after gunman opens fire on Christchurch mosques in ‘unprecedented’ terror attack
- Woman, 56, is so allergic to latex she risks a deadly reaction if there's a balloon in the same ROOM as her
- Chinese TV station scraps endurance reality show after Godfrey Gao, 35, died from a heart-attack while 'filming the programme for 17 hours straight'
- Shocking footage of parkour group riding Paris metro a month before member Nye Newman killed in accident
- Hundreds executed during Iran’s secret deadly crackdown
- New blitz on freed jihadis: Police make dramatic arrest of ANOTHER Islamist who was jailed with London Bridge attacker Usman Khan in 2012
- Emotional moment hospital staff create honour guard for dying girl, 2, as she prepares to donate organs that later saved three lives
- Shocking As It Is to Believe, the Theater May Be in a New Golden Age
- London Bridge terror attack witness says he’ll ‘never be able to unsee’ horror carried out by knifeman who murdered two
Haunting new footage shows Sydney knifeman dazed and confused in a hospital emergency room a WEEK before his 'deadly rampage' have 1537 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 15, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.