Breana Noble The Detroit News
Published 1:02 PM EDT Aug 14, 2019
To commemorate 50 years of the Dodge Charger Daytona, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV is debuting at the Woodward Dream Cruise a 717-horsepower anniversary edition on the new 2020 Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody. Only 501 units will be produced — the same number made of the 1969 model, which was the minimum needed to qualify for use on the NASCAR circuit.
The car will make its debut Saturday at the Modern Street Hemi Shootout lot at 50881 Woodward in Pontiac. Dodge also will display the new 2020 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody and the 797-horsepower 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye.
The Daytona anniversary edition has a 6.2-liter Hemi Hellcat V-8 engine with 650 pound-feet of torque. It is available in four colors and features a “Daytona” deck lid and rear-quarter decal with matching spoiler.
The original Daytona prototype 50 years ago was the first car to break the 200 miles per hour average lap speed and set a record that stood for 17 years.
Pricing in all 2020 Dodge Charger models will be announced when ordering opens in the fall. The vehicles will begin arriving in dealerships in early 2020.
- Lyft passenger taken for terrifying 120-mph ride in a Dodge Charger SRT
- Prince Charles: A look back at the Investiture of the Prince of Wales on 50th Anniversary
- 2017 Dodge Charger taps into muscle car mania
- Fascinating photos show Concorde glory days on 50th anniversary
- Dodge Charger Hellcat Widebody is a fast road hog
- On 50th anniversary of husband’s death, Vietnam War widow meets person who killed him (column)
- King Crimson Plan 50 Concerts for 50th Anniversary
- 50th anniversary: Mr. and Mrs. Berney
- Celebrations to mark 50th anniversary of first Concorde flight
- Ringo Starr, Santana Lead Bethel Woods’ 50th Anniversary of Woodstock Celebration