FILE — In this Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018 file photo, provided by the government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media, shows Syrian government forces firing their weapon during a battle against the Syrian opposition fighters, in the southern Aleppo countryside, Syria. In two months of intensive airstrikes and bombardments on the rebel-controlled province of Idlib, Syrian government forces and their Russian allies have failed to make progress against battle-hardened insurgents. (Syrian Central Military Media, via AP, File) lessFILE — In this Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018 file photo, provided by the government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media, shows Syrian government forces firing their weapon during a battle against the Syrian … more
Photo: Uncredited, AP
Photo: Uncredited, AP
BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian opposition activists say an airstrike on a busy market in a rebel-held town in northwestern Syria has killed at least 16 people.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says the airstrike took place in the town of Maaret al-Numan on Monday and also wounded more than 30 people.
The Thiqa news agency, an activist collective in northern Syria, gave a higher death toll, saying the strike killed 20 people.
Syrian government forces launched an offensive in Idlib province more than two months ago but have made little progress since. The province is the last major rebel stronghold in the country.
The offensive began in late April and has killed more than 2,000 people and displaced more than 300,000 so far.
- Syrian Observatory says blast kills one near U.S. coalition base
- Twin blasts in rebel-held Syrian city Idlib kill at least 15
- Blast kills 16, wounds 38 in southern Afghan city
- How Syrian Activists Can Get Around The Internet Blackout
- Monitor says air strikes increase sharply in rebel-held northwest Syria
- Syrian government forces' shelling kills 17
- HEADLINE SCANNER 16/08/13: China probes tech giants | Facebook goes shopping | Syrian activists hack Washington Post
- Scores of Chadian rebels held after French air strikes
- U.S. military says strike kills four militants in Somalia
- Syrian source says U.S.-led coalition fired at Syrian positions in east