Attorneys Allen Sawyer, center, and Ken Rosenfeld, right, for Naason Joaquin Garcia, the leader of a Mexico-based evangelical church with a worldwide membership, attend a bail review hearing for Garcia in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday, July 15, 2019. Prosecutors have asked a judge to hold Garcia without bail on charges of child rape and human trafficking. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via AP, Pool) lessAttorneys Allen Sawyer, center, and Ken Rosenfeld, right, for Naason Joaquin Garcia, the leader of a Mexico-based evangelical church with a worldwide membership, attend a bail review hearing for Garcia in Los … more
Photo: Al Seib, AP
Photo: Al Seib, AP
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Prosecutors have asked a judge to hold the leader of a Mexican megachurch without bail on charges of child rape and human trafficking.
Naasón Joaquín García, leader of La Luz del Mundo, is currently held on $50 million bail — believed to be the highest ever in Los Angeles County. He has pleaded not guilty.
García and two co-defendants appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court Monday for a bail review hearing. Law enforcement officers testified about sexual images and videos discovered on his electronic devices.
One also testified that $5 million has been raised for Garcia’s defense. Defendants can typically post 10% of their bail to be freed.
Defense attorneys say Garcia doesn’t pose a flight risk and they want his bail reduced.
The judge is expected to rule Tuesday.
- Prosecutors want Neymar on trial over Barcelona transfer
- Prosecutors want records sealed in Mateen Cleaves sex case
- FIFA prosecutors want life ban for Webb in bribery case
- Prosecutor wants 60-year sentence for ex-Saint’s killer
- The Latest: Prosecutors wants shooter to serve 60 years
- Belgian prosecutors want Merckx tried in corruption case
- Prosecutors want to tell jury ex-NFL star spoke about anger
- Prosecutor wants to know NFL’s punishment for ‘Pacman’ Jones
- Aldon Smith arrested again, being held on $500,000 bail
- Prosecutors seek jail time for ex-Penn State president