Egypt on Saturday opened two of its oldest pyramids, located about 25 miles south of the capital Cairo, to visitors for the first time since 1965. Antiquities Minister Khaled el-Anany told reporters that tourists were now allowed to visit the Bent Pyramid and its satellite pyramid in the Dahshur royal necropolis, which is part of the Memphis Necropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Built at around 2600 B.C. during the Old Kingdom of the Pharaoh of Sneferu, the Bent Pyramid is unique in that it has two internal structures. El-Anany said the Bent Pyramid represents a transitional form of pyramid construction between the Djoser Step Pyramid (2667-2648 B.C.) and the Meidum Pyramid (also about 2600 B.C.)
El-Anany also announced that Egyptian archaeologists have uncovered a collection of stone, clay and wooden sarcophagi, some of them with mummies, in the area. He said archaeologists also found wooden funerary masks along with instruments used for cutting stones, dating to the Late Period (664-332 B.C.).
Mostafa Waziri, secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said they also uncovered large stone blocks along with limestone and granite fragments indicating the existence of ancient graves in the area.
Egypt has been whipping up publicity for its new historical discoveries in the hopes of reviving a devastated tourism sector still recovering from the turmoil following a 2011 uprising that toppled longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak.
- Egypt tells Elon Musk its pyramids were not built by aliens
- Coronavirus latest: Europe opens up for tourism
- A city out of time: what do we dream of when we dream of Rome?
- Coronavirus digest: Australian state to deploy military to enforce isolation measures
- Coronavirus digest: France says second wave 'highly likely' in autumn and winter
- 'There are those in power who're doing their darndest to discourage people from voting': Obama excoriates Trump and compares him to George Wallace during eulogy to John Lewis and calls for new Voting Rights Act 'to truly honor' civil rights icon
- Germany: Mandatory coronavirus testing at airports off to smooth start
- Mandatory coronavirus testing at airports in Germany off to smooth start
- Germany's birth rate drops, confirming dramatic predictions for the whole world
- There may never be COVID-19 'silver bullet': WHO
- Coronavirus: Norwegian cruise line suspends activity after new outbreak
- Stranded New Zealand honeymooners hitch lift from Falkland Islands on fishing boat
- There may never be COVID-19 'silver bullet,' WHO warns
- Is the second coronavirus wave already here?
- Coronavirus pandemic: Is the second wave already here?
- German firms expect restrictions to public life for a further 8.5 months
- 'I was labelled a monster': How high school football player was WRONGLY convicted of molesting a four-year-old boy and faced life in prison - until lawyer saved his life with new evidence
- Who are Forever Family? The secretive British protest group with uniforms, body armour, walkie-talkies and military-style drills who resemble the Black Panther movement in 'battle against racism'
Egypt opens 2 of its oldest pyramids for fist time since 1960s have 467 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at July 13, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.