Paul Manafort is holed up in solitary confinement at a Manhattan prison — and he’s expected to remain at the lockup as his mortgage-fraud case plays out, his lawyer and the Department of Justice said Tuesday.
The president’s former campaign manager was recently transferred to the Metropolitan Correctional Center to await arraignment on state crimes.
“My expectation is he won’t remain there [in solitary]. For a couple days when you’re being processed, they keep you in solitary,” Manafort’s lawyer Todd Blanche told The Post on Tuesday. “I’m hopeful the MCC will have a location for him that’s not solitary.”
Manafort, 70, is serving a more than seven-year sentence on federal tax fraud, bank fraud and other charges stemming from Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.
The longtime Republican operative, who had been behind bars at FCI Loretto in Pennsylvania prior to his transfer, faces similar charges in an indictment filed by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance in March.
It’s unclear when his arraignment will take place.
Vance and Blanche had been duking it out over whether Manafort would be kept in state or federal custody pending the New York case — with Blanche requesting that his client remain at Loretto, citing “health challenges,” according to a letter he sent to the prison’s warden, Vicky Moser.
That letter was forwarded to the DOJ — prompting Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen to intervene.
“The Department requested the views of New York prosecutors, who did not object to Mr. Manafort’s proposal,” a DOJ spokesman told NBC News on Tuesday. “In light of New York’s position, and Mr. Manafort’s unique health and safety needs, the Department determined to err on the side of caution by keeping Mr. Manafort in federal custody during the pendency of his state proceeding.”
The spokesman added that Manafort “will be made available to the state whenever needed for his state case” and that “the arrangement will not have any impact on his state proceedings.”
Manafort was being housed at FCI Loretto in Pennsylvania prior to his transfer to the MCC, which houses other notable inmates like Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.
Blanche is fighting the state charges, arguing double jeopardy.
“This is politics at its worst,” the lawyer wrote in his letter to Moser.
- Angry but not broken: How Albert Woodfox survived four decades in solitary confinement
- A bank executive is convicted of loaning Paul Manafort money to obtain a job with the Trump administration.
- Here's how long Paul Manafort faces in prison after guilty verdict
- 'This Week' Transcript: Paul Manafort, Sen. John Barrasso, and Sen. Dianne Feinstein
- Rapper Meek Mill ‘no longer in solitary confinement’ as he serves prison sentence for probation violation
- Paul Manafort’s Trial Starts Tuesday. Here Are the Charges and the Stakes.
- Paul Manafort shared 2016 presidential polling data with ex-Russian agent: Feds
- All the properties Paul Manafort had to forfeit as part of his plea deal
- Paul Manafort's cooperation with Robert Mueller will likely lead to more charges says former U.S. attorney
- Paul Manafort’s Banker Stephen Calk Lent Him $16M in Exchange for Potential Trump Job, Feds Say
- Mike Huckabee says Paul Manafort's sentence has nothing to do with Russia collusion
- Paul Manafort sentenced to four years in prison with the judge saying he lived an "otherwise blameless life"
- Trump rally crowd unironically chants "lock her up" as Paul Manafort, Michael Cohen face years in prison
- Trump pardons Paul Manafort, Roger Stone, Charles Kushner, among others
- Richard Blumenthal calls Paul Manafort's sentence a "miscarriage of justice," says Manafort threatened U.S. Democracy
- Ukraine oligarch linked to Paul Manafort can be extradited to Chicago for bribery charges, Austria's Supreme Court rules
- Alexei Navalny: Imprisoned Kremlin critic says he could face solitary confinement
- Trump Gives Clemency to More Allies, Including Manafort, Stone and Charles Kushner
Paul Manafort in solitary confinement in Manhattan prison have 625 words, post on nypost.com at June 18, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.