The Chevrolet Malibu hasn’t managed to step out of the shadow of the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, but that didn’t stop one Florida man from allegedly trying to extort a dealership out of the also-ran.
According to WESH, Daytona Beach resident Christian Mosco found old sales records from Jon Hall Chevrolet. The documents were apparently from the early 2000’s and included personal information such as customers’ social security numbers.
Instead of destroying the records or simply handing them over to the dealership, Mosco allegedly decided to attempt to make a quick buck. According to police, he sent photos of the records to the dealership and asked for a 2019 Chevrolet Malibu as well as $50,000 (£39,417 / €44,199).
If the dealership failed to comply, Mosco said he’d go to the media and turn the incident into a “big story.” He claimed this would result in a class action lawsuit that would eventually put the dealership out of business.
Police said Mosco used his own name in the e-mails and asked to meet at their lawyers office where he could return the documents and pick up the cash as well as the car. Unfortunately for Mosco, the dealership contacted police and they were waiting for him at the lawyer’s office.
The 46 year old was taken into custody, but police said Mosco didn’t think he had done anything wrong. Mosco also allegedly told officers he wasn’t trying to be greedy, because he could have asked for more money. As for the Malibu? Police said Mosco wanted it because it was “his wife’s favorite car.”
According to the Volusia County Clerk of Circuit Court, Mosco has been charged with “threats or extortion” and this is a second degree felony. This is punishable by up to 15 years in prison according to FLcrimedefense.com.
H/T to GM Authority
- Florida Man Arrested Christmas Day for Attempted Hatchet Attack on Man Who Allegedly Tried to Steal His Money Jar
- Florida Man Threatened To Blow Up Planes And Churches While Sending Woman 10,000 Texts in 12 Days, Cops Say
- ‘Florida Man’ challenge has everyone Googling their birthdays. Here’s why
- Florida Man Arrested for Handing Out Free Marijuana 'Because It Was Christmas,' Police Say
- Florida Man on Meth, Locks Girlfriend in Bathroom, Stabs Mattress Looking For Man Allegedly 'Hiding Inside'
- Florida Man Smashes 20 Cars, Says 'I Did It Because Donald Trump Owes Me One Trillion Dollars'
- Florida Man With Sword Attacked Deputy During Standoff After Tasers, Beanbags Didn't Faze Him
- Florida Man Allegedly Attacks Neighbors With Roach Spray, Hits Himself in Head With Nunchaku
- Florida Man 'Violently' Punches Gas Pumps, Car Wash Drive Thru and Trees After Argument With Girlfriend
- Florida Man Woken Up By Man Who Broke Into House and Began Sucking His Toes