Kids are, unequivocally, making the best podcasts. The latest evidence of this comes from a group of eighth-graders at Bronx Prep Middle School in the South Bronx, whose Sssh! Periods is a smart and hilarious podcast about how they refuse to shut up about menstruating.
Sssh! Periods is a brief look at the miserable experience of getting your period as a middle-schooler. “I’m literally the queen of bleeding out,” a girl named Caroline told NPR. One girl on the podcast said a teacher didn’t let her go to the bathroom when she got her period in the middle of class, and another remarked that her teachers’ reactions change quickly once they realize they’re dealing with a menstruating teenager. “Cause when you tell a teacher, their whole mood changes!” one said. “Facial expression and everything,” another added.
The girls, who wrote, recorded, and edited the podcast, also covered topics like the pink tax on pads and tampons, how menstruation affects homeless women’s basic ability to care for themselves, and all the code words people use to avoid even saying the word “period.” These girls are clearly interested in shining a light on these mildly awkward topics, but my only criticism is that their podcast was too short—each could work as a standalone episode! When is Part 2 coming?
The girls made Sssh! Periods as part of NPR’s Student Podcast Challenge, and are the contest’s first-ever winners. It sounds like they should probably get school credit for this, but at the very least, I hope they’ve shamed their teachers into being less weird about letting them to go the bathroom in the middle of class.
- Is Your Business Ready for Podcasting?
- A Brief History of Podcasting
- 7 Best Practices For E-mail Newsletters and E-mail Newsletter Marketing
- Weight Loss Over Forty - How to Reverse Middle Age Spread
- Global Warming Means No More Oil From Middle East Needed
- Cool Offers from the Best Cash Back Credit Cards
- George Best - A Profile of the Manchester United Players Career
- Vitamins, Minerals, and Essential Nutrients Make the Best Weight Loss Supplements
- Divorce - When Your Best Friend Won't Move On
- Teaching, Learning, and Bonding with Pre-Schoolers
- The Internet--THE Best Place to Learn English
- Don't Eliminate The Middle Man - Add One
- Is Reading the Best Way for the Human Mind to Learn to Think or Gain Knowledge?
- Weight Loss Success Tips for the Middle-Aged Woman
- Choosing The Best Automatic Forex Trading Software - 3 Tips For Consideration
- Staying in Barcelona for Extended Periods
- When is the Best Time to Go on Safari in Africa
- Bahamas Fishing - Only 50 miles off the coast of Florida is some of the best fishing in the world.
These Bronx Middle Schoolers Made the Best Podcast About Periods have 439 words, post on jezebel.com at May 22, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.