Three best friends have revealed how they transformed a run-down caravan into the ‘ultimate weekender’.
Erin Cayless, Bonnie Hindmarsh and Lana Taylor of Three Birds Renovations took on a ‘dilapidated little caravan’ set on the bank of a river – and turned it into something special.
‘This River Shack reno was a totally unique challenge for us and, quite literally, it is our tiniest reno to date,’ the Australian best friends told FEMAIL.
Three best friends have revealed how they transformed a run-down caravan (pictured before) into the ‘ultimate weekender’
Erin Cayless, Bonnie Hindmarsh and Lana Taylor of Three Birds Renovations took a ‘dilapidated little caravan’ on the bank of a river – and turned it into something special (pictured after)
‘Over the years, a shack had been hammered up out the front of the caravan, and we wanted to combine these two elements into one ultimate weekender – a place where you could retreat from the stresses of grown-up life and really let your hair down.’
So how did the talented renovators – who have taken on a series of projects, from chic cottages to Hampton-inspired homes in the past – take on the river shack renovation?
First, they abandoned their typical paint colour of choice – white – for something else.
‘Thankfully, the design rules of everyday life don’t apply to a weekender,’ Bonnie said.
‘It should feel like an escape and what better way to create that feeling than to be adventurous with colour?’.
‘Thankfully, the design rules of everyday life don’t apply to a weekender,’ Bonnie said - ’It should feel like an escape and what better way to create that feeling than to be adventurous’
The trio instead opted for black for the exterior of the property, and then painted the interior walls blush pink (pictured: the bedroom)
The trio instead opted for black for the exterior of the property, and then painted the interior walls blush pink.
‘We had heaps of fun with our colour choices on this reno, both inside and out, as you can probably tell from the blush pink and black caravan with lightening bolt, and the strelitzia wallpaper,’ Lana said.
Because the property is so small, the women said they focused on ‘budget buys, super-durable materials and multi-function furnishings’.
Because the property is so small, the women said they focused on ‘budget buys, super-durable materials and multi-function furnishings’ (pictured: bunk beds)
They also took a look around for countless space-saving and storage solutions – to ensure that they made use of every nook and cranny (pictured: the main room)
They also took a look around for countless space-saving and storage solutions – to ensure that they made use of every nook and cranny.
‘Try to re-use windows and doors wherever possible,’ they advised – if you want to save money.
‘We upcycled these old windows from Lana’s Forever Home renovation, painted them black and gave them a second lease of life.’
When it came to the bathroom, the Three Birds experts opted for a blush pink colour scheme, complete with nude grout and light shades (pictured)
Elsewhere in the reno, Lana, Bonnie and Erin used fibre-cement cladding to ensure their river-side property wasn’t going to be vulnerable beside the water.
‘This Scyon-Axon cladding creates a strong visual impact with its modern clean lines, and once we painted it black (literally, the paint colour is Black by Dulux), our modern bush cabin was complete,’ Erin said.
‘I love the Axon cladding we used for the outside of the shack so much, I had to use it inside as well,’ Bonnie said.
She said they put it in every single room except the bathroom to add ‘texture’ – making the weekender feel far less generic than typical properties.
Elsewhere in the reno, Lana, Bonnie and Erin used fibre-cement cladding to ensure their river-side property wasn’t going to be vulnerable beside the water (pictured: the interior)
What are Three Birds’ top small kitchen tips?
* Opt for the smallest appliances available, like a skinny 30cm cooktop or single DishDrawer instead of a full dishwasher.
* Integrate appliances if your budget allows – doing this will make the kitchen feel larger and look less disjointed.
* Steer clear of any overhead cabinets, as these close a space in.
* Go for a dining table in place of an island bench. You can prep food there if neccessary.
* Consider an indoor/outdoor servery – as this can make a small kitchen feel bigger than it is.
For the renovating pros, the kitchen was one of the most difficult areas to tackle.
Because it occupied such a small space, they needed to make sure they were covering every single tiny inch.
‘If you have a small kitchen, opt for the smallest appliances available, like a skinny 30cm cooktop or single dish drawer instead of a dishwasher,’ they advised.
You could also integrate appliances if your budget allows this, and steer clear of any overhead cabinetry – as this will close the space in more.
The Three Birds pros said black can work surprisingly well in kitchens, because it ‘oozes style, sophistication and drama’.
It’s worth also incorporating a ‘Euro laundry’ in to a small space property, whereby you place your washing machine and tumble dryer into a cupboard to help save space.
‘It’s really important to decide on the big-ticket items you will spend on – as these will be your investment pieces – versus others you plan to refresh much sooner,’ the Three Birds said
When it came to the bathroom, the Three Birds experts opted for a blush pink colour scheme, complete with nude grout and light shades.
‘If you’re unsure about whether or not to go with light or dark tiles in your bathroom, remember that light-coloured or neutral tiles will always make a space look larger and they will also make your bathroom feel more open, spacious and bright,’ Bonnie said.
They chose square tiles and said these can be a ‘game changer’ for bathrooms.
‘It’s really important to decide on the big-ticket items you will spend on – as these will be your investment pieces – versus others you plan to refresh much sooner,’ they said.
Images and quotes come from Three Birds Renovations by Erin Cayless, Bonnie Hindmarsh and Lana Taylor. Photography by Monique Easton, Murdoch Books RRP $39.99. For more information, please click here.
- Kylie Jenner KISSES best friend Stassie as the girls reenact Britney Spears and Madonna's famous peck from VMAs
- Meghan Markle's best friend Misha Nonoo shares stunning first images of herself in the 'one of a kind' lace bridal gown she designed for her wedding to oil tycoon Mikey Hess
- Geordie Shore star Aaron Chalmers reveals he and girlfriend Talia Oatway are expecting a baby... just days after couple 'split up and unfollowed each other on Instagram'
- How to buy a home that would transform your life: Escape to the Chateau's Dick and Angel reveal their tips for buying a renovation property and turning it into a successful business
- Now THAT'S a reno! Builder couple reveal how they transformed an overgrown 'avocado-coloured' home into a spectacular tropical oasis
- Mrs Hinch shares stunning images of her newly decorated home after nearly a year of renovations - and EVERY room is grey and white
- The 100 best books of the 21st century
- How not to get seasonal affective disorder: DR NORMAN ROSENTHAL - the pioneering psychiatrist who first discovered SAD - reveals how to avoid the blues this winter
- What's happening in Tampa Bay this weekend? | October 25-27
- A woman on a mission! Los Angeles writer goes on 30 DATES in one weekend to see if she can find 'the one' - while candidly filming her thoughts about each of her encounters
- The best weekends away in Queensland
- Transformers Meets Ghostbusters in This Totally Tubular '80s Toy Mashup
- Hey friends, have you heard the good news about gaming church?
- One shed to rule them all! Lord of the Rings-inspired 'hobbit hole' is voted one of Britain's best garden hideaways in 2019 Shed of the Year contest
- What's the Best Order to Watch All the
- 'Getting hammered again?' Texts reveal how Congresswoman Katie Hill's husband and staffers worried that her drinking 'affected her ability to do her job', as she faces investigation by ethics committee over throuple affair
- Kim Kardashian surprises her friends and family with Skims goodie bags for her lavish Palm Springs 39th birthday getaway
- Now THAT's a kind of magic: DAVID WIGG was a great friend of Freddie Mercury for 16 years, here he reveals how a blockbuster new film about Queen has captured all its frontman’s swagger and vulnerability
Is this the tiniest renovation EVER? Best friends transform run-down caravan into the 'ultimate weekender' - and reveal how you can do it too have 1460 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 5, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.