In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, ‘Game of Thrones’ star Sophie Turner opened up about her relationship with fiance Joe Jonas, and her love life prior to her engagement. Turner was prepared to be single for the rest of her life prior to meeting Jonas, but said she, ‘met enough guys to know – I’ve met enough girls to know.’ When questioned further about the comment, Turner said, ‘Everyone experiments… I love a soul, not a gender.’
Speaking to Marie Claire Australia for the magazine's cover story, the 23-year-old actress – who plays the "Thrones" character Sansa Stark in the series – candidly recalled a period of time she struggled with mental health and her weight.
"I have experienced mental illness firsthand and I've seen what it can do to the people around [the sufferers] as well," she said. "My metabolism suddenly decided to fall to the depths of the ocean and I started to get spotty and gain weight, and all of this was happening to me on camera."
According to Marie Claire, Turner – who reportedly wed fiancé Joe Jonas in a surprise ceremony in Las Vegas on Wednesday evening – then received pressure from film and television studios to lose weight — a request that worsened the star's mental health battle at the time.
So, how did the then-teenage Turner cope?
"Therapy," she responded. "Everyone needs a therapist, especially when people are constantly telling you [that] you're not good enough and you don't look good enough. I think it's necessary to have someone to talk to and to help you through that."
This isn't the first time the star has openly spoken on her struggles with mental health and weight, however.
Speaking with Dr. Phil on his podcast — Phil in the Blanks — in April, Turner revealed she began to suffer from depression at age 17, just four years after she began filming for “Thrones.”
“I was so in love with [‘Game of Thrones’]… I couldn’t believe I was going to get paid for it… Everything was incredible,” Turner explained at the time. “It only started to kind of go downhill I think when I started to hit puberty, really puberty though at like 17, and my metabolism was slowing down massively, and I was gaining weight, and there was social media scrutiny and everything — and that’s when it kind of hit me.”
Asked if social media was what caused her depression, Turner emphasized it was a contributing factor, but not the whole reason.
“I think it contributed. I wouldn’t say that was the main reason. I think it was some sort of chemical imbalance. I think it definitely was a bit of a catalyst," she said, adding her depression led her to be “withdrawn” at times.
Thankfully, the star feels “much better” now, she said at the time.
“I've been doing therapy… I'm on medication and I love myself now, or more than I used to, I think,” she added.
Fox News’ Mariah Haas contributed to this report.
- Sophie Turner on
- Does Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner’s daughter’s name have a reference to THIS popular character?
- Game Of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau arrives at Jimmy Kimmel Live... as HBO exec hints at high body count for show's final season
- Spider-Man star Tom Holland confirms he’s dating model Nadia Parkes as they go Instagram official
- Game of Thrones fans call out plot hole with Cersei’s naked walk of shame through King’s Landing
- The new nerds: how Avengers and Game of Thrones made everyone geek out
- Rhian Sugden channels Game Of Thrones character Daenerys Targaryen in blonde wig as she plays dress up for sultry snap
- From Jack Black's cheating girlfriend to Jude Law's adorable daughters, where are the cast of the classic festive film The Holiday now?
- ‘We’re Gonna Win’: ‘Lovecraft Country’ Star Jonathan Majors on Race and Redemption
- BAFTA 2020 winners list in full as stars attend first ever virtual ceremony
- TOWIE's Amber Turner and Dan Edgar make a splash as they race around an inflatable assault course during filming
- YouTube Star Logan Paul Posts Footage of Dead Body in Japan’s ‘Suicide Forest’
- Emilia Clarke dating Mission Impossible star Rebecca Ferguson's ex-boyfriend'
- Here's What's Happening With The Star Trek Movie Series
- Star Jonathan Pryce Set to Portray Old Prince Philip on
- 'You beat Phoebe!' Fleabag's Sian Clifford breaks down in tears as she wins at TV BAFTAs 2020 and reunites with co-star Phoebe Waller-Bridge (who tweezes during their Zoom call!)
- Jurnee Smollett Is Ready to Own Her Power With HBO's Buzzy 'Lovecraft Country': "I Don't Apologize"
- Star Wars reading list: where to start after you finish the movies
‘Game of Thrones’ star Sophie Turner was ‘pressured’ to lose weight while filming HBO series have 887 words, post on www.foxnews.com at May 3, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.