Ashraf Khalil Associated Press Published 11:35 AM EDT Apr 26, 2019 Washington – A Russian woman who admitted to being a secret agent for the Kremlin has been sentenced to 18 months in prison. Maria Butina has been jailed since her July 2018 arrest and will get credit for time served. U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan also ordered Butina deported after she completes her sentence. Chutkan said she was imposing the sentence to reflect the seriousness of the offense and to promote deterrence. Butina pleaded guilty last year to a conspiracy charge and admitted she covertly gathered intelligence on the National Rifle Association and other groups at the direction of a former Russian lawmaker. Butina said she was “ashamed and embarrassed” by her own actions.
- Russian spy Maria Butina, 30, will be released from jail on Friday and escorted by two ICE agents back to Moscow after serving 16 months of her 18-month sentence - as her life behind bars of five-mile runs and working at the prison cafeteria is revealed
- Maria Butina, accused Russian agent, sentenced to 18 months in prison
- Russian gun rights activist who admitted being a secret agent for the Kremlin and tried to infiltrate conservative U.S. political groups in run up to 2016 election is released from prison - and about to be deported
- Russian agent Maria Butina sheds tears and hugs family as she arrives back in Moscow after being deported from the US where she was freed after serving 18 months in prison
- Russian agent released from U.S. prison, set to be deported
- Russian agent Butina's plane lands in Moscow
- Convicted Russian agent Maria Butina released from prison and deported
- Russian woman convicted by U.S. of being agent returns home
- 'Russians don't surrender': 'agent' Maria Butina arrives in Moscow
- Russian agent Butina returns to Moscow, wants no part of U.S.
Russian sentenced to 18 months for being agent for Kremlin have 306 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at April 26, 2019. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.