At its Brussels Motor Show launch in 1969, Ford’s marketeers pitched the new Capri as “the car you always promised yourself” – quite a claim, given that it was essentially just a Cortina in a short skirt and, as with any coupé, involved a degree of compromise. But if you were eight years old when first you saw one in a showroom (HJ Quick of Altrincham, in my case), chances are that you perceived it as a thing of great beauty, and half a century’s passage hasn’t altered those initial impressions. If your dad owned a Cortina, it was interesting only if it had a Lotus emblem on its flanks (which relatively few did); if he bought a Capri, almost any Capri, he’d entered a whole new realm of cool (although you’d probably have been a bit miffed if he’d come home with one of the 1300 models that mustered only 52bhp). And that was another thing about the Mk1 Capri, its bewildering range of flavours: 1300, 1300GT, 1600, 1600GT, 2000GT and later 3000 GT, with L, X, R, XL or XLR trim packs that incorporated various options, such as spotlights, Rostyle wheels or sculptured “‘vents”’ ahead of the rear… Read full this story
- Trump's dismantling of environmental regulations unwinds 50 years of protections
- Jean-Paul Gaultier goes out in style: His final fashion show as he bows out after 50 years in the industry
- Led by Patrick Mahomes, the Kansas City Chiefs win their first Super Bowl in 50 years
- Claudio Abbado: 'one of the greatest musicians of the past 50 years'
- Johnny Depp jams with Aerosmith as band celebrates 50-year career
- Tick tock, it's 50 years on the Play School clock
- Bring back the 1970s! Britons were happier with democracy 50 years ago than they are now
- Simon, Garfunkel and the swansong that has lasted 50 years
- Shelby is celebrating 50 years with a new 750-hp Super Snake
- Chiefs defeat the 49ers in Super Bowl LIV and earn their first title in 50 years
50 years of the Ford Capri: celebrating 'the car you always promised yourself' at Silverstone Classic have 329 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at April 19, 2019. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.