Tyler Lauletta, provided by
Published 10:38 am CDT, Friday, March 15, 2019
AP Photo/Gerald Herbert
- Tiger Woods weekend at The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass was derailed on Friday with a quadruple bogey on the course’s famous par-3 no. 17.
- Woods had been off to a hot start through his first seven holes of the day but hit the water twice on the no. 17 island green to send him plummeting down the leaderboard.
- No. 17’s reputation as one of the most daunting holes on the planet is well-earned.
Tiger Woods weekend at The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass took an awful turn on Friday after a disastrous quadruple bogey on the course’s famous par-3 no. 17.
Woods had kicked off the tournament with a solid 2-under round on Thursday, keeping himself in contention. On Friday, Woods was hot from his opening swing, picking up three birdies through his first seven holes to move near the move up the leaderboard.
Then, disaster struck at no. 17 — the daunting par-3 island green that has a well-earned reputation as one of the most intimidating holes on the planet.
Woods had survived a close call on the hole on Thursday, barely holding on to the front of the island with an aggressive shot that would lead to a birdie.
But on Friday, no. 17 got the best of him.
Woods’ first shot almost stuck the landing, but trickled off the edge of the bridge and into the drink, and was immediately met by groans from a crowd hoping to see Tiger continue his run.
After taking his drop, Woods over-shot the green on his next attempt, bouncing the ball across the green and into the depths for a second time.
No. 17’s reputation as one of the most intimidating holes in golf is well-earned. For those that conquer it, no. 17 is a career highlight, as Ryan Moore showed on Thursday with his unbelievable ace.
But as Tiger’s brutal turn of events showed, no. 17 can also humble the best golfers on the planet.
To the rest of the field at The Players Championship this weekend — go for the pin at your own risk.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
- Silicon Valley’s ultimate status symbol is the sneaker. Here are the rare, expensive, and goofy shoes worn by the top tech CEOs.
- Ryan Moore scored a hole-in-one at the 17th at Sawgrass, one of the most iconic holes in golf
- The Irish prime minister brought his boyfriend to meet Vice President Mike Pence
- Barren Masters weekend only adds to allure of Tiger Woods's iconic 2019 win
- Tiger Woods' major debut became a tale of Burnt Biscuits, tough lessons and Augusta awe
- Inside Tiger Woods’ £41m Florida mansion with four-hole practice golf area and 100ft swimming pool on Jupiter Island
- FROM THE PEOPLE ARCHIVES: Read the Only Interviews Elin Nordegren Gave About Her Split from Tiger Woods
- Ranking Tiger Woods' five exciting victories at the Masters spanning three decades
- Masters Rewind: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson join Jim Nantz as CBS airs classic final rounds this weekend
- Masters heartaches walk the fairways with green jackets
- AP Was There: Tiger wins Masters to cap remarkable comeback
- Tiger makes a Masters logjam look even larger
- The Masters: Augusta's greatest moments
- Golf: Spieth's slump a baffling one five years on from magical Masters win
- Masters: Sergio Garcia crowned champion after thrilling duel with Justin Rose
- Masters champions interviewed: Bubba Watson with James Haddock
- Revisionist history: Playing out the last 20 Masters with alternate endings
- Defining moments that make the Masters unlike other majors
- Emotional Rory McIlroy feels 'love' in dramatic late Open bid
- Memorable shots in the Masters from every club in the bag
Tiger Woods blew a huge opportunity at The Players with a disastrous quadruple bogey on its famous island-green hole have 686 words, post on www.mysanantonio.com at March 15, 2019. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.