Catherine Lucey, Lisa Mascaro and Laurie Kellman Associated Press Published 11:25 AM EST Jan 10, 2019 Washington –President Donald Trump threatened on Thursday to declare a national emergency to circumvent Congress if he can’t reach a deal with Democrats to fund his promised border wall. He headed to the U.S.-Mexico border to draw further attention to his case after negotiations with lawmakers blew up. The partial government shutdown dragged into a 20th day with hundreds of thousands of federal workers off the job or working without pay as the wall fight persisted. Asked about a national emergency declaration, Trump said as he left the White House for Texas, “I’m not prepared to do that yet, but if I have to I will.” He contends such a declaration would allow him to direct the military to begin wall construction. “So we’re either going to have a win, make a compromise –because I think a compromise is a win for everybody– or I will declare a national emergency,” he said. It’s not clear what a compromise might entail. Trump says he won’t reopen the government without money for the wall. Democrats say they favor measures to bolster border security but oppose the… Read full this story
- White House Opioid Commission to Trump: Declare National Emergency for Epidemic
- Trump Threatens Literal Scorched-Earth Policy to Punish California
- Why Trump’s New Border Policy Threatens National Park Visitors Everywhere
- Donald Trump’s trade war with China explained
- Trump the Destroyer
- Iran Gives Donald Trump a History Lesson: We'll Survive U.S. Like We Survived Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan: 'Genocidal Taunts Won't End Iran'
- Twitter says Trump's threat to North Korea was 'newsworthy' and will not be taken down
- Russia needs to get out of Venezuela: Trump tells Putin to pull his troops out of strife-torn country as he holds surprise Oval Office meeting with the 26-year-old journalist wife of the U.S.-recognized president
- The Unforgivables: Trump’s Top Collaborators
- The dark history of Donald Trump's rightwing revolt
Trump threatens to declare national emergency have 341 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at January 10, 2019. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.