DUBAI – Associated Press South Korea’s Kim Jong Yang was elected as Interpol’s president on Wednesday, edging out a longtime veteran of Russia’s security services who was strongly opposed by the U.S., Britain and other European nations. Kim’s election was seen as a victory for the White House and its European partners, who had lobbied against Alexander Prokopchuk’s attempts to be named the next president of the policing organization. The U.S. and others expressed concern that if Russia’s candidate had been elected, it would lead to further Kremlin abuses of Interpol’s red notice system to go after political opponents and fugitive dissidents. Russia accused its critics of running a “campaign to discredit” their candidate, calling Prokopchuk a respected professional. Kim’s win means he secured at least two-thirds of votes cast at Interpol’s general assembly in Dubai on Wednesday. He will serve until 2020, completing the four-year mandate of his predecessor, Meng Hongwei, who was detained in China as part of a wide anti-corruption sweep there. Kim, a police official in South Korea, was serving as interim president after Meng’s departure from the post and was senior vice president at Interpol. Russia’s Interior Ministry said after the vote that Prokopchuk, who… Read full this story
- South Korean reporters grill minister nominee for 11 hours
- President Moon’s Party Wins Big in South Korean Elections
- South Korean and Japanese Leaders Clash over ‘Comfort Women’ at U.N.
- South Korean Politician Embroiled in Fake News Corruption Scandal Commits Suicide
- South Korean crypto exchange loses $31 million from hack
- South Korean businesses growingly adopt unmanned services
- Interpol President Disappears on Trip to China
- Meng Hongwei, Former Interpol President, Under Investigation For Corruption: Chinese Authorities
- South Korean Media: Kim, Moon, Trump Seek to Announce End of Korean War
- South Korean President Confirms ‘Unexpected’ Call from Trump Before Kim Summit
South Korean named Interpol president in blow to Russia have 317 words, post on www.hurriyetdailynews.com at November 21, 2018. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.