Detroit Free Press
Published 9:54 PM EST Nov 10, 2018
Detroit Red Wings (6-8-2, 14 points) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (7-7-2, 16 points)
When: 7 p.m. tonight.
Where: PNC Arena, Raleigh, N.C.
TV: Fox Sports Detroit.
Radio: WXYT-FM (97.1; other radio affiliates).
Another shot: The Wings lost, 3-1, when the teams met Oct. 22 in Detroit. The Hurricanes directed 39 shots on net that night – shooting is part of their prime directive, and they lead the NHL with a 41.1 per-game average. The Wings, though, come into this game with the confidence of a two-game winning streak and having won five of their last six games.
Sizing up the opponent: The Hurricanes just snapped a five-game losing streak with a victory at Chicago. They score an average of 2.69 goals per game and allow an average of 3.00. Their special teams are among the worst in the NHL – both the power play (13.8 percent) and the penalty kill (70.9 percent) rank 28th. Sebastian Aho leads the team with 18 points and Micheal Ferland with seven goals. Former Wings goaltender Petr Mrazek is 3-3-2 with a .880 save percentage and 2.75 goals-against average. Andrei Svechnikov, the second overall pick in the 2018 draft and brother of Wings prospect Evgeny Svechnikov, has four goals and two assists.
Winged wheel watch: Jacob de la Rose (upper body) left after the second period of Friday’s game and is not expected to be available against Carolina, according to coach Jeff Blashill. … Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (lower body) and forward Thomas Vanek (knee) remain out.
More on Wings: What’s behind dual success of the special teams?
Live updates for mobile users.
Contact Helene St. James: [email protected] Follow her on Twitter @helenestjames.
- Red Wings face goalie competition with Calvin Pickard signing
- Yzerman’s game plan and other questions facing the Red Wings
- Hockeyville USA on NBCSN: Red Wings’ youth movement continues
- Red Wings star prospect Filip Zadina could start season in AHL
- Previewing the 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings
- How good has Anthony Mantha been for Red Wings?
- Salary-cap deep dive: Detroit Red Wings
- Free agent focus: Detroit Red Wings
- Red Wings re-sign Dominic Turgeon to one-year deal
- Red Wings get F Adam Erne from Lightning for fourth-round pick