Whatever your view of Margaret Thatcher, the miners’ strikes of the eighties and nineties and the subsequent pit closures, for most it’s certainly not a black and white issue.What’s not in doubt is that communities were ripped apart, some relationships did come to a premature end as a result of financial burden and many families had to suffer dark, miserable times.But surely, amid all that, people still laughed, dreamed, made love and held aspirations… and all that came across beautifully on Friday evening.Of course all but the most hard hearted of Thatcher admirers in the audience would have left this show with food for thought – this story is very much from the perspective of the miners – but they would have also arrived home knowing that the cast had given Paul Allen and Mark Herman’s masterpiece the best treatment an amateur dramatics group possibly could have.Many will know the story – it’s 1994 in South Yorkshire and a young miner and a government official fall in love amid a backdrop of closure threatening the mine and its band reaching the national final – but if you enjoy that, why not buy the DVD and stay home?No, this is live… Read full this story
- Theatre review: The Price and Sweet Charity
- Theatre Review: The Lieutenant of Inishmore and It Happened in Key West
- Theatre Reviews: The King and I and Giffords Circus
- 3 and Half Years Later, True Detective Is Back. Why Did It Take So Long?
- Follies REVIEW: Sublime, staggering, sensational - Do not miss this grand Sondheim triumph
- Edinburgh Fringe 2018: 21 unmissable comedy recommendations for this year’s festival
- Tom Hiddleston excels in a brilliant performance in Pinter's Betrayal
- Opera Review: Pelléas et Mélisande Glyndebourne
- Opera review: The Magic Flute at the English National Opera
- Notable Performances and Recordings of 2018
THEATRE REVIEW: 'St Nics' performance of Brassed Off was the best I've seen in seven years' have 299 words, post on www.spaldingtoday.co.uk at October 20, 2018. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.