Tropical Storm Gordon is moving quickly, expected to pass through southeast Florida by this afternoon, but tropical storm warnings are in effect for areas of Miami-Dade, Collier and Monroe counties as heavy rain continues.
Gordon, the seventh named storm of the season, was expected to form once it reached the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, but spun up a little before the forecast predicted.
Palm Beach County is under a significant weather advisory until 10 a.m. with National Weather Service meteorologists warning of strong thunderstorms east of Lantana bringing wind gusts of up to 55 mph and the possibility of funnel clouds. The storm is moving at 35 mph to the northwest.
A wind gust of 56 mph was recorded at Florida International University in Miami at 8:54 a.m.
Sustained winds this morning at Palm Beach International Airport have been running about 9 to 20 mph, with a 21 mph gust recorded before 2 a.m. Miami International Airport reported gusts of up to 35 mph before 9 a.m.
As of 9 a.m., Gordon was 60 miles southwest of Miami moving west-northwest at about 17 mph with sustained winds of 45 mph. An Air Force hurricane hunter is headed into Gordon this morning.
Gordon is still expected to remain a tropical storm, with winds topping out at 60 mph in the Gulf of Mexico.
Tropical Storm warnings are also in effect for the coasts of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
NOAA’s GOES-East satellite images show Tropical Storm Gordon over South Florida, valid as of 9 a.m.
Rainfall estimates for the 24 hours preceding 8 a.m. show the heaviest showers hitting Miami-Dade County, according to the South Florida Water Management District. But those numbers will increase as the gauges update this morning.
The Weather Prediction Center is forecasting rain totals as high as 5 inches through Wednesday morning in South Florida.
A year ago today, Hurricane Irma was a Category 3 storm about 885 miles east of the Leeward Islands. Florida would be in the cone by Sept. 4 and Irma hit South Florida seven days later as a Cat 4 hurricane.
- Pittsburgh Weather: Winter Weather Advisory, Winter Storm Watch Issued Ahead Of Freezing Drizzle And Lots Of Snow
- Pennsylvania Weather: Ice Storm Warning Issued For Parts Of Delaware Valley For 1st Time In 10 Years
- Over 1,000 homes damaged as remnants of tropical storm Sinlaku wreaks havoc in Ranong
- Tropical Storm Cristobal nears Louisiana coast
- Weather Timeline: Winter Storm Could Bring Up To 9 Inches Of Snow Sunday
- Pittsburgh Weather: Winter Storm Warning In Effect As Snow, Freezing Rain, Ice Expected For Western Pa.
- Street Flooding, Power Outages Reported Following Heavy Rain Moving Through South Florida
- Winter Storm Warning Issued For Pittsburgh Area Ahead Of Expected Major Overnight Snowfall
- New York Weather: Winter Weather Advisory Goes Into Effect Saturday Afternoon As Next Round Of Storms Arrives
- Philadelphia Weather: Another Round Of Snow On Way With Winter Weather Advisory Going Into Effect Tonight
- Pittsburgh Weather: Round 2 Prompts Winter Weather Advisory For Parts Of Area, Plenty More Snow To Come
- Pittsburgh Weather: Winter Storm Warning Behind Us, Ice And Re-Freezing The Next Concern
- Disaster plan in place as Tropical Storm Noul puts agencies on high alert
- CBS2 Weather Headlines: Winter Weather Advisory, Snow Saturday PM; Freezing Rain Possible Overnight
- Winter Storm Warning In Place As Super Bowl Sunday Snowstorm Could Dump Several Inches Across Delaware Valley
- Signal No. 1 up in parts of Mindanao as ‘Auring’ intensifies into severe tropical storm
- Winter storm warning issued for metro Baton Rouge: Significant ice storm approaching
- Philadelphia Weather: Winter Weather Advisory Goes Into Effect Wednesday Evening As 2 More Chances For Snow This Week
Significant weather advisory, tropical storm warnings in effect for South Florida have 592 words, post on weatherplus.blog.palmbeachpost.com at September 3, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.