10 Sep 2018, 17:00 IST
Colombo, Sep 10 (AFP) Criminal investigators were called in Monday to investigate an alleged USD 5.5 million fraud at Sri Lanka Cricket involving money from a looming England tour, officials said.
Detectives from the police Criminal Investigation Department went to the offices of the national governing body in Colombo to begin a probe, a police source said.
Official sources said the USD 5.5 million was for television rights for the upcoming England tour of Sri Lanka involving five ODI matches, a lone T20 and three Tests between October 10 and November 27.
The board said it had lodged a complaint with the police over an attempt to siphon off money, but managed to prevent the fraud.
“The fraudulent act was found, before it was executed through bogus means,” the board said in a statement, adding that it had begun an audit of accounts following the discovery.
Police said they have taken documents from the financial section of Sri Lanka Cricket and further investigations were under way
Press Trust of India (PTI) is a news agency in India
Fetching more content…
Fetching more content…
- Corruption in Sri Lanka cricket goes beyond Al Jazeera claims, says Arjuna Ranatunga
- Sri Lanka Cricket rejects ticket 'rip off' claim
- Burns, Denly and Stone in England squad for Sri Lanka Tests
- Keaton Jennings given no assurances by Trevor Bayliss over England place for Sri Lanka tour
- Sri Lanka cricketer Silva quits tour after father's murder
- Warwickshire's Stone set for England debut against Sri Lanka
- 3 Reasons Sri Lanka's Asia Cup exit shouldn't surprise you
- Sri Lanka vs England: First ODI
- Sri Lanka and England first ODI rained off after just 15 overs
- Graeme Swann demands England's spinners deliver in Sri Lanka: 'Lick your lips and say this is my time now'
- England told to stay vigilant amid Sri Lanka crisis
- England Test squad to face Sri Lanka announced
- England beat Sri Lanka by 31 runs on DLS method as rains hits Dambulla
- 5 Players who could be crucial in the upcoming Sri Lanka-South Africa Test series
- England’s plans hit by downpour in Dambulla ahead of Sri Lanka series
- Meet the Sri Lanka Test team: Flashing blades, a captain back from a ban and a last hurrah
- ICC suspends Sri Lanka bowling coach Zoysa on fixing charges
Police probe fraud of England tour cash at Sri Lanka Cricket have 363 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at September 10, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.